Pre-surgery clothing planning and hair

Gwen M.
on 12/9/13 9:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks!  I'm planning on cooking extras of casserole-type stuff over the next few months to tide my family over while I'm on liquids.  (And since I'm traveling out of town to help with my dad's chemo every week out of three.)  

Having something comfy to wear home from surgery seems like a really great idea.  

I still have some of my last-size jeans (24s, I think) but I hope to skip that over entirely :)  

I've got to admit, I hate shopping.  I'd imagine most of us do prior to losing weight.  The idea of going out and actually shopping for clothes seems kind of overwhelming.  Right now, I just order stuff online.  

I've got a ton of gray/silver hair already, that would be super amusing if all of my hair came in gray.  :D  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Machelle.K
on 12/9/13 11:31 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I didn't buy any clothes until I was about 6 weeks out and everything was hanging on me. I'd go to the Goodwill monthly after that and always bought the next size down, especially for business clothes for work. Between 10-12 month post op I didn't have much of a change until recently when I went from a 12 to a 10. I spent about 35$ a month on clothes at the Goodwill. The only I bought unused was new undergarments, which I've bought bras twice now and I think I'll have one more round of size change there, and once for undies, and I expect to buy a smaller undies too.

I never thought to shave  my head, and I lost about 50% of my hair and it's very fine as it is. I concentrated on using good conditioner and shampoo and had my hair shortened.

Best of Luck!

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/13 12:21 pm - Canada

Great question!  I've been wondering about that too!  I'm still pre-surgery but have gone from a 22/24 to 16/18 on my own.  Luckily I was still carting around my clothes from when I was the smaller size so haven't had to shop yet.  I have about 5 skirts that are pretty tight right now but by the time I'm ready to go back to work after surgery I'm thinking skirts & tights.  Baggy skirts are much more forgiving then baggy pants.  After that I'm thinking I will just buy whatever I can find on a really good sale.  Our thrift stores here (in Canada) aren't that cheap and I'd rather put the extra $5-$10 out to buy a new article of clothing.  Works out great for the thrift stores because I keep donating to them lol!

As for hair loss...I just got my hair cut after months of growing it out.  We had a spray foam mishap and I had chunks of my hair cut off because it wouldn't come out.  The hairdresser gave me the worst haircut, did exactly what I asked her not too!!!!  I'm ready to shave my head now lol.  I wear my hair (usually) in a short bob but am thinking of going shorter as my face thins.  I love short hair but with the weight I've been carrying it's not a good look.

Most Active