Is depression normal after VSG?

Journeytotherealg
on 1/4/14 11:49 pm - MI

Hi OH. I had my vsg on 12-20-13.  I've been so depressed since and feeling extreme buyers remorse.  Are these feelings normal after post-op?

VSG on 12-20-13.  HW=325.  SW=312.  CW=286   GW=170

BetterTheSecondTime
on 1/4/14 11:54 pm - Cortlandt Manor, NY

I've been having extreme ups & downs - I had my surgery 12/30. I'll feel positive for a while, then out of nowhere I'm bawling because the bacon my husband made for the kids smells so good and I just want some food. I've also had some difficulties I've been working through (unexplained constant dizziness) and have had some crying jags that I've destroyed my life by having this surgery.....I think it's normal to feel some regret at first because it's a tough adjustment to make and there really is no going back. I'm planning on going to a support group this week so I can get some in-person support - can you maybe find one near you? 

mustlovepoodles
on 1/5/14 12:00 am
VSG on 12/31/13

it's common to experience depression after ANY life-altering experience--heart attack, car wreck, death in the family, and yes, WLS.  One of the things that complicates it for us with the sleeve, is that the surgeon cuts out about,  85% of the stomach, the very part that produces the hunger hormones. Well, hormones affect other hormones and that includes the hormones that affect your brain chemistry.

You don't have to suffer in silence. If this has been going on for 2 weeks its time to call your PCP and talk about anti-depressants.  I've been a sleever for 5 days, but an RN for 35 years so i do understand the body-mind connection. Please make the call tomorrow. If you have thoughts of harming yourself, go to your nearest ER for treatment NOW.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

cappy11448
on 1/5/14 12:30 am

I had a lot of mood swings (mostly anxiety) after surgery.  i do think it is normal.  Plus the adjustment is difficult, but manageable.  It took about 3 months to stabilize, and get to the point that I felt some normalcy in my eating.  And, by then, the weight loss was starting to show, and it was so satisfying to have more health and mobility. 

So hang in there.  It will get better. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

mmmesser
on 1/5/14 1:20 am

I'm not sure what you mean by 'so depressed'?  If you are having thoughts to harm yourself vs. just tearful episodes because you want something to eat and can't have it?

It is understandable that you are going through a life changing event and that there are extreme emotions tied to it.

If you are unable to get out of bed and/or not able to enjoy anything and feel guilty for having to be a burden on others etc. then you need to tell your family and go to your primary care physician tomorrow.

If you have thoughts to hurt yourself or someone else go to the ER right now.

If you have tearful episodes and just a general sense of sadness then tell your family and start an in-person support group near you and tell your surgeon the next time you see him/her.  If it doesn't improve by talking to others and getting extra support then go to your Primary care.

And yes, Seratonin is also produced in the stomach but as a general rule it is hard to categorize your experience being due to missing serotonin as the body will typically make up for it.

Also, if mental illness runs in your family then you may want to get with your primary care anyway just to rule out any possible symptoms.

In general, I think we all go through some emotional transitions through this major life transition.  If you remain unsure please feel comfortable to check in with your primary care physician regardless just to be on the safe side.

Scribbler
on 1/5/14 2:08 am

I have suffered depression following previous surgeries that had nothing to do with weight loss and my theory is that my body was just reacting to the trauma of the surgery.  It could also be the anesthesia as well? It takes a while for that to clear out of your system.

I would say, it sounds like what you're going through is, sadly, not out of the ordinary and that you will probably perk back up over time. Your body has been through a lot and it needs a chance to heal and adjust to your new normal.

claimmaster
on 1/5/14 2:19 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

My emotions were all over the place for the first month and a half.  Then everything started to settle down after I was back on real food and started getting into a routine and things didn't seem so different anymore.  It's been all good since then.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/14 2:44 am - Canada

It is completely normal.  I'm having anxiety for the first time in years.  Not full blown attacks but certainly the beginning stages.  I hate that feeling!  It will subside with time.  Remember that one day you will be eating normally again.  It's just a new normal but it will be yours and you will feel as accustom to it as you did when you were over eating. I think giving yourself a break and not expecting to be bouncing back so quickly will do you a world of good.

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/5/14 4:30 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I haven't had real anxiety in awhile and after the surgery I began to get milder versions of panic attacks. They are lessening as I get farther out from surgery and I was like, wth is wrong with me? 

Thanks for sharing that. I don't feel so weird now LOL

Journeytotherealg
on 1/5/14 3:31 am - MI

Thanks so much for your replies.  I'm going to go to a support meeting this Wednesday.  I'm definitely NOT feeling suicidal.  Just feeling the loss of food.

Peace and blessings!

Gina

VSG on 12-20-13.  HW=325.  SW=312.  CW=286   GW=170

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 79 views