Xpost - Surgery one week from today, nerves setting in

Glow2182
on 1/15/14 2:40 am - WA

*disclaimer* Just venting some thoughts here that no one can really understand until you go through these things like we do.

So my surgery date is finally upon me. One week from today I will be going in for my VSG.

I've been working towards this (insurance-wise) since April 2013. Been contemplating having surgery for 10 years or so...

You would think after all that waiting and thinking about this point that I would be ecstatic that my big day is just around the corner now!

Instead, with each passing day I get a little more somber about what is about to happen.

I am glad that the wait will finally be over and I will be able to move forward...but there are also SO many other thoughts running through my head. The immediate changes of course (what I'll be eating, how I will be eating, when I will be eating, how do I make 1/2 cup of food last 30 minutes, what if I don't take my vitamins in the right order and end up with some sort of vitamin deficiency) and the longer term changes as well, (what if I don't lose as fast as I hope to and get discouraged, how will I feel when everyone starts noticing the weight loss and it becomes an even bigger topic than the surgery is now, will i feel like the real me is finally able to show herself or will i struggle with body dismorphia and still feel like the same old me, etc, etc, etc).

I am confident that everything will work out exactly how its supposed to...I guess I'm just anxious to see what that will look like.

I feel VERY prepared for the lifestyle change that this surgery will bring to me. I have been studying and researching nutrition on my own for several years and feel very knowledgeable about the topic. I've tried to use that knowledge to lose weight on my own for a long time (hence the 10 years on THINKING about having surgery). I've just never been able to fully put everything I know in to practice and really have it work in the long run. I know that this tool will give me the edge I need in addition to my knowledge to be successful.

Acouple months ago I recall posting on facebook that I need something to come in my life and change everything up because I was getting bored. Well - be careful what you wish for! Sometimes all that change can feel really overwhelming at times!kiss

Here's to not breaking down today - yet! broken heart

HW 505  SW 446  GW 200.       VSG Surgery on 1/22/14

Jcarter4321
on 1/15/14 3:52 am

I'm exactly one week out as well! YEAH US!

I am not nervous yet , just excited and ready for this new challenge/chapter in my life.

I am a band to sleeve conversion and have been through this before (although recovery on band was way quicker and easier....sigh...stupid, hated band!).

I am sure you will do great! My husband just had his on 12/23 and was more nervous about the lifestyle change than the actual surgery. I am the polar opposite-I fear surgery, hospitals and pain like no other! But I am ready to take on the challenge of sleeve eating (3 weeks liquid, 3 weeks purees per my Doctor's office plan).

Good luck to you next week :-)

Glow2182
on 1/15/14 4:40 am - WA

Thank you! Good luck to you too!

cappy11448
on 1/15/14 3:53 am

Hang in there.  A year from now when you are have lost many pounds,  you are going to look back and be so thankful for your surgery and the hard work you are about to do.

Its so worth it.  You'll do great.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Glow2182
on 1/15/14 4:41 am - WA

Thanks Cappy! :)

The_True_KayD
on 1/15/14 3:53 am

I am six weeks out. I had to same concern about the 30 minute meal thing. I found that when I started to eat soft foods that I automatically ate slowly. I wanted to listen to my new stomach. It takes me about 20 mins to eat my meal. I discovered the other day how easily I adjusted to a new normal. My new normal is to eat slowly and adhere to the amount that I should eat. 

You will do awesome! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Glow2182
on 1/15/14 4:41 am - WA

THanks Kay!

Jes57
on 1/16/14 2:41 am

I'm one month post surgery and everyday gets better and better.  My post surgery challenges are totally manageable, I think because I keep my expectations realistic.  I remind myself that I was getting no where with weight loss pre-surgery, despite all my efforts.  You sound very prepared and I'm sure that will set you up for success.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views