Vitamins

RissaCup
on 1/27/14 9:13 pm

Ok so I have a long list of vitamins that I can take after the VSG surgery. Anyone want to give some insight on what they are taking, how they taste (if chewable) and how much they have helped? I need to get some as my surgery is coming up in 8 DAYS!!!!! OMG im getting so excited and even more nervous. Damn this anxiety!

Karissa H 5'4.5" | A 27 | HW 311 | SW 270 CW 142.4 | GW #1 147 | GW #2 133 comparison          

rissa1224
on 1/27/14 10:10 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Hey girl!! Well I am seeing a new surgeon and nut the next few weeks, only becuase my surgeon moved too far for me to travel to. This new one isnt a NEW surgeon, just new to me, my 2 co workers (who both got inspired to get VSG due to me!) go to them and love them!! They told me that we can take 2 childrens flinstones a day, multi with the iron in it, plus 2 chewable (tastes like candy!) of the calcium chews- dont take the flinstones and calcium together. I take 1 of them during the day and 1 at night. Cant mix iron and calcium. Its SO much cheaper than what I was taking before!! Literally saved me like $75 a month! I am so excited for you!!!

Kathy8429
on 1/27/14 10:36 pm

I've been taking calcet calcium creamy bites. Kind of expensive but tasty

I was taking building blocks chewable raspberry calcium they were ok too 

celebrate vitamins chewy bites orange. They're good 

im not a lover of vitamins so the creamy bite ones are a bit more palatable. The building blocks calcium took a few days to get used to but were ok

trinoc
on 1/27/14 11:02 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I take 2 Flintstones per day.  I've always liked the taste but they do leave a yucky iron after taste.  

For Calcium I do Bariatric Advantage chews because I'm not yet to the point where I can take a tablet.  The calcium supplement that our bodies absorb is calcium citrate.  Not phosphate or carbonate.  It's really hard to find an OTC calcium citrate chew.  They're ALL carbonate or phosphate.  The other day I saw that Citrical had chews now.  That's new.  So I bought some since Citrical is calcium citrate.  WRONG.  Their tablets are citrate but these chews are carbonate!  I know this is probably more information than you need.  Just wanted to advise you to read labels carefully because if your body can't absorb it why spend the money on it at all?  :-)

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

BetterTheSecondTime
on 1/27/14 11:46 pm - Cortlandt Manor, NY

I take 1 Celebrate Multi-Complete +Iron chewable and 1/2 a dissolving (sublingual) strip of B12 in the morning, 2 hours later 1/2 of my calcium citrate, which is 1 1/2 chewable wafers (Rainbow Light Chocolate Chewable), then another 2-3 hours later, the other 1 1/2 of the calcium chewable, along with 1 dissolving tablet of Natrol Biotin (5000mcg), then later with dinner I take another multi-vit. chewable.

So, 2 multi-vit +iron,  3 chewable tabs of calcium citrate, 1/2 a sublingual strip of B12, and 1 dissolving tab of biotin.

I can't say I recommend the multi...I've been having problems becoming very nauseous if I take it on an empty stomach or even after a protein shake. The only time it doesn't make me sick is with solid food...which is an issue because I'm still on 2 shakes a day and one mushy  meal :( In the process of seeking another multi-vit.

Sort of off-topic, but I totally recommend an app for your phone that reminds you to take your supplements on a schedule. I use Dosecast, which was free. It's great because it hounds you at 3 minute intervals until you respond that you've taken whatever you are due for at that time. There is so much to take and has to be spread out over the day...this is saving me big time :)

Good luck!

Mary

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/28/14 12:01 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I'm still working my way through the very expensive powdered multi-vitamins I purchased through my surgeons office. They are disgusting. I mix a scoop of UpCal calcium citrate powder with Vitamin D into it and suck it down. I also take a PPI, a gallstone prevention pill, probiotic, B complex ( I prefer the liquid, more pricey but tolerable), b-100 and a senekote for regularity. Once the powdered mutli-vitamin is gone I have a bottle of Celebrate bariatric chewables to take. I do have some calcium chews I take once in awhile and I take Coromega Omega-3 orange flavored liquid fish oil and it is delicious. It tastes just like an orange creamsicle LOL

Gwen M.
on 1/28/14 2:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My nutritionist gave me a sample pack of Bariatric Advantage vitamins to try, which was pretty great since I got to try all the flavors!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 253 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views