Hunger??

wendyred
on 2/8/14 9:26 pm
I know this has been discussed many times, but how do you read hunger queues? I had surgery Friday and since yesterday feel so hungry. I am following the plan and diet but my stomach growls and feels so empty, it's kind if maddening not to know what my body is telling me to do. Insights? Thanks!
kellma699
on 2/8/14 9:56 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

I actually just read a ton of stuff online in forums about this last night. I was sleeved on 2/4 and I feel hunger. The general consensus of everything I read is that it is stomach acid in the stomach, which makes you feel hungry. I also asked this question here and to my nutritionist, because I don't feel the restriction on this liquid phase and everyone says it will happen after we start eating solids, that we will notice it right away.

A lot of people also said that they had hunger pains for weeks after surgery bit it did eventually subside. Or they said they still feel hungry but the sensation is nothing compared to what they felt pre op.

Last night after I was done with all of my protein and liquid requirements for the day, still felt hungry. I drank some warm water and I was fine. I never would have been fine with that pre op.

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

wendyred
on 2/8/14 10:49 pm
Thanks. I know things will settle in them coming weeks. It's just a little unnerving at times.
kellma699
on 2/8/14 11:55 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

I agree. It is unsettling. I think one of our biggest fears, as bariatrics patients, is that this isn't going to work for us. Everything I read prior to surgery, even in my surgeon's own literature, said that I wouldn't feel hungry post op with the VSG. So it is scary to feel hungry and think I went through this major surgery and I'm already a failure.

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

Sleeved114
on 2/9/14 12:42 am

I sometimes feel the same way, that it won't work for me. I am almost one month post op and am on pureed food at this point. I don't feel hunger like I used to but there are times when I do feel hungry. I read iin one of my research days that there is still some grehlin in the digestive tract left over for a while right after surgery. I know that what I feel now more than hunger is the intense interest in the foods that I previously loved like roasted chicken and other savory and meat-based foods. When I see people eat those around me I want to have some too.

But I can relate that feeling that you have that it won't work for me and that I am already a failure. I have interviewed people I know who have had the surgery and they assure me that if I follow my doctor's orders, it will work, So that is what I'm doing. Good luck and speedey recovery.

Kathy8429
on 2/9/14 12:03 am, edited 2/9/14 12:04 am

When I start to feel hungry the first thing I do is start drinking. Ok that sounds bad :-) I drink either water or herbal tea. If in 30 minutes I'm still hungry I swig some liquid gaviscon., and drink some more. I also start asking myself what's going on in my head that's making me want to eat. 

I should also mention that on a good sleeve day I don't feel hunger like I used too, I could go hours and hours without food but if any of these things are going on I have the hunger monkey on my back--

stress, anxiety, tired, anger, change, uncertainty, any situation where I used to eat like going out with friends, fear, boredom, watching tv commercials, seeing one of my old trigger foods at the store oh and stomach growling isn't a real hunger cue in the sleeve world. At least for me up to this point

jlombard
on 2/9/14 2:59 am - comanche , OK

Thank YOu Thank You for posting this.  I am 6 days post op, still finishing up liquid diet and feel like I am straving!!!!   I am short tempered and mean right now.  I feel like I am already failing at this whole thing just casue I am hungery and want to eat! I have my husband and kids that I am still cooking for and it is just unfair.  

okay crawling off my whine/soapbox.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views