What did you wish you did pre-surgery?

hollyk79
on 2/12/14 12:47 pm - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

My surgery is booked for April 2 with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta and I'm trying to prepare... my husband had surgery there last July so I know roughly what to expect but I am just so ready for this finally HAPPEN and want to feel proactive, if that makes sense? So, looking back, what did you wish you did (more of? Less of?) in the 1-2 months prior to your surgery?

TexasTerritory
on 2/12/14 1:38 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I bought too much stuff like protein powder and small containers. I am so normal now~~that's the amazing part~~how simple life is following my doctor's plan!

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 2/13/14 1:05 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

amen to that.  I overbought everything based on my old diet.  I'm going to have chicken and beef broth in my house for 3 years.

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Annievvho
on 2/12/14 1:45 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

The only things I wished before my pre-op diet that I had done were things I thought I would regret the surgery over. I don't, and I'm glad I lost the weight I did pre-surgery. There's nothing you can't do after you've had surgery except binge eat bad food. Now it's time to think about all the things you WILL be able to do after surgery!

Nikke2003
on 2/12/14 8:55 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Making as many changes to my eating habits as possible and losing weight before surgery is something I'm incredibly grateful that I did. I am also happy that I have frequently taken pictures to document my progress so that I can see the changes when I don't "see" them in the mirror or on the scale.

What I didn't do was take measurements - REALLY wish I would've done that regularly!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

VSG on 06/12/13

Totally agree. Photos and measurements are an EXCELLENT idea. You can track it here in OH's healthtracker. Measure everything you can. I didn't do my forearms and it leaves annoying gaps in my reports. 

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

cappy11448
on 2/12/14 9:26 pm

I wished I had practiced "eating slowly and small bites."  Before surgery, I was thinking, "I don't need to practice that.  when I need to eat slowly and take small bites, I'll just do it."  But I found that after surgery, I occasionally would take a big bite or eat too fast, and I would be in pain.  It is worth practicing this.

I was pretty compliant on all the other changes requested like limiting water around meals, portion size, exercise, etc.  I am glad I did.

I also am so happy that I lost weight before surgery.  Now that I'm approaching goal and my weight loss has slowed down, I'm so glad that I lost more weight when it was relatively easy. 

I think this is a great question, and indicates you have a good attitude.  You are going to do well with the weight loss. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

hollyk79
on 2/12/14 10:52 pm - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

Aww thanks! Great tip to practice the small bites and eating slow!

PinkNoley
on 2/12/14 9:49 pm - IN

I wish I would have exercised more. If I would have been in the habit prior to surgery, it would have been easier to get back to post-op. I'm 4 months out and just getting to the point of exercising regularly. 

Surgery: 9/20/2013
Highest Weight: 276 | Surgery Weight: 238.6 | Current Weight: 164 | Goal: 150

hollyk79
on 2/12/14 10:54 pm - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

This is something I have been telling myself to get started on... I have an exercise bike sitting unused and keep telling myself I need to hop on at least a little bit each day.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views