Rude comments from sales lady

Tiffanybeal
on 3/15/14 9:47 pm - OH
VSG on 12/30/13

I went to Lane Bryant to get some smaller bras I basically had already measured myself and new what size I needed. I walk in and the sales lady was asking what I needed and I told her I lost weight and needed to get some new bras and told her I al ready knew what I needed. However she insisted on fitting me. Well I was panicked I have scars on my stomach from surgery and knew they were really noticeable. So I told her about my surgery she brought me a few to try on and when she came in the room the first thing she said was " oh bless your heart you are going to have to have surgery to remove that skin it doesn't bounce back"  I was shocked and kind of wanted to cry. It has only been 2 and a half months and I carried a lot of weight in my stomach and I don't think by any means it is loose skin. So all I could get myself to say was well it has only been 2 months I will cross that bridge when I get there I guess. I understand I told her but what gave her the right to make a comment like that?        So now I am worried did it take longer to lose in your stomach then other places? I have lost some inches but my stomach doesn't seem to be moving that much 

cappy11448
on 3/15/14 10:14 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.  When I was on my pre-op diet, I had a dinner invitation from a woman from my husband's church, and I explained that I would bring my own food because I was preparing for surgery.  She guessed it was weight loss surgery - I don't know how, but immediately launched into a very enthusiastic monologue about others she knew who had WLS, and ended asking me what I was going to do about all the excess skin.  I was so offended.  That was such a personal question, and I barely knew this person.   I can imagine how it felt.

My weight came off my stomach last.  I'm getting close to goal, and my body is getting actually boney! (amazing), except I still have a good pot belly.  I figure I'm going to use my tummy as my gauge of when I reach goal, rather than a scale number. (smile) 

I had a lot of weight to lose, and I'm in my 60's.  But even so, my skin is tightening up pretty well.  I've gone thru stages where my skin was loose, and then tightened up, and then got loose again as I lost more weight.  A while ago, someone posted that their skin was continuing to tighten 6 months after reaching maintenance.  So I'm hoping that with time, it will get better and better!

If it doesn't,  we will deal with it.  We are resilient in many ways!  It just feels so good to be 'normal.' What a gift it is to have WLS!  I feel so blessed.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Tiffanybeal
on 3/15/14 10:20 pm - OH
VSG on 12/30/13

Thanks for sharing. I guess i need to be better prepared for rude people because they are everywhere? And as long as I feel wonderful and I know as long as I am healthy that is what really matters. I bought some shirts the other day that were and XL I haven't even seen that size since high school so I am so excited. I will keep working and my stomach will go when it is ready I guess.   

tookayo
on 3/16/14 12:25 am - Canada

Just remember you will lose weight but that lady will always be rude lol.

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/14 4:21 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

I just had to tell you that you are a rock star! That is all!

Tiffanybeal
on 3/16/14 7:01 am - OH
VSG on 12/30/13

Thank you 

sillymilly
on 3/15/14 10:23 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Ignore the sales lady.  She was only sharing her opinion, which you didn't ask for.  She was there to fit you for a bra, not to comment on other parts of your body.  

You're early in the process, just follow your diet, drink lots of water, and exercise until you reach your goal and then you can worry about if you have a lot of excess skin.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Tiffanybeal
on 3/15/14 10:26 pm - OH
VSG on 12/30/13

Good advice thank you. It will all come in time. I feel so good now I sometimes forget it has only been a couple months 

sillymilly
on 3/15/14 10:56 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

(Besides, soon you'll never want to shop at Lane Bryant again!). 

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Tiffanybeal
on 3/15/14 10:59 pm - OH
VSG on 12/30/13

I really don't have to anymore except bras I have been able to buy clothes others places already :) 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 76 views