Is prophylactic lovenox the standard for all

themexcellentone
on 4/29/14 3:23 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Not a stupid question at all.  Lovenox is a blood thinner.  I had to take it for 10 days post-op to reduce the chance of having a blood clot form.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

mickeymantle
on 4/29/14 10:04 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my surgeon usually does it for 1 week I needed to do it for 1 month but my pre op testing discovered lupus anticoagulant antigen  (not lupus) it is a clotting disorder which raises thew risk of clots , it also courses miscarriages but is treated with aspirin for that , wish I knew that 30 years ago

warning thoses shots hurt and leave black and blue marks

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

EmmyK
on 4/29/14 11:30 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

It's pretty common.  Some laparoscopic surgeons do it for everyone.  Others do it on a case by case basis.  After my huge surgery in October, I had the SCDs and injections for the whole week, even though I was ambulatory.  IMO, the benefits outweigh the risks.  It does tend to cause bruising at the site, so don't be too worried.  Taste the rainbow of healing bruises!

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

weese
on 4/29/14 12:38 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

There are government guidelines that mandate blood clot prevention for certain types of surgery called core measures.  most surgeons use something even if the procedure isn't one that is monitored for these guidelines. Medications may be used but they can also use mechanical methods such as the white elastic stockings or anti embolism stockings that massage the legs. Patients that are ambulating independantly may b exempt. So...it boils down to physician preference. In the old days they had patients lay down and rest...they found people were dying from blood clots. That's why there is such a push to get up and walk ASAP. 

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/14 3:11 pm - Canada

I can't say it, let alone know what it is lol.

MacMadame
on 4/29/14 3:29 pm - Northern, CA

It's really, really common to get it in the OR. But whether you have to take it afterwards varies based on medical history and how your surgeon feels about said medical history.

Honestly, I'd question a surgeon who didn't use it in the OR (unless you have some sort of clotting issues). That's become pretty standard.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/14 4:00 pm

I had one injection prior to surgery during prep and then one after surgery. I was up and walking within 4 hours of surgery. That was the reason I was given for only getting the two injections.

Judy700
on 4/29/14 4:25 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

I think I had it for maybe the first day in the hospital.  At least that's what my surgeon says, but I was so out of it, I don't remember.  I should have had it for longer, though, because I was one who did get a blood clot 2 days after coming home.  (Day 4 post op.)  I went on it right away once it was confirmed by my PCP for the next week and am now on Xaralto for 6 months with a very swollen leg.  Better be safe than sorry.

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

civilmomma
on 4/30/14 12:39 am
VSG on 03/07/14

For me, there was one shot the morning of surgery, then the next 2 mornings in the hospital.  I did not go home with any blood thinners. 

I am younger, active, and otherwise healthy - not sure if protocol is different for someone with different cir****tances.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

tpasun
on 4/30/14 1:42 am

Lovenox is given as a precaution against blood clots in MANY patients, not just surgical.  Any prolonged immobilization places a higher risk of blood clot on anyone.  My surgeon does some sort of anticoagulation therapy based on individual needs, due to a family history of TIA I had more testing done and what I'm given will be based on that. 

Bottom line... it's always better to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to blood clot prevention.  I give Lovenox injections all the time, it's a tiny needle and not one of my patients has ever complained.  Good luck to you!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views