What kinds of foods will I need to avoid after VSG?

scarletred
on 7/24/14 8:26 am
VSG on 10/07/14

Hi, I'm in the middle of my pre-op requirements, had my psychological evaluation last week, going tomorrow to get my blood work etc done. I'm hoping that I'll be able to have my sleeve done in the next month or two.

I'd like some advice from those who have already been sleeved about what kinds of foods I'll be needing to avoid after. I'm not talking in the months following, I know there will be serious restrictions at first. I know about the liquid diets, etc. I'm talking once I'm healed and able to eat solids. What should I expect I'll not be able to eat anymore? I'd just like to mentally prepare myself now so perhaps if there's something I really love, I can find an alternative, or maybe just wean myself off of it beforehand.

Any advice you can give me regarding these restrictions as well as any other pre-op advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

~Yolanda                                                        HW316 ConsultW293 SW275 CW234 GW150

M1-22 M2-7 M3-XX M4-XX M5-XX M6-XX M7-XX M8-XX M9-XX M10-XX M11-XX M12-XX

Gwen M.
on 7/24/14 8:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm four months out and I can eat anything I want.  This is part of the reason I chose VSG.  My body can, physically, handle everything I wasn't allergic to pre-op.  

That said, I choose to avoid refined and processed carbs as much as possible because I believe they're just not good for humans to ingest with regularity.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

karen_locey
on 7/27/14 12:31 am

Can you drink pop?  I'm considering weight loss surgery and I was told I'd have to give up pop forever! I hope you will reply to me. I also have been trying to decide between the sleeve and gastric bypass. 

Gwen M.
on 7/27/14 12:53 am, edited 7/27/14 3:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I never did pre-op, so it wasn't a consideration for me.  Some people have no problems with carbonation, some do.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MAchick
on 7/24/14 8:40 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I'm the same as Gwen. I can pretty much eat anything and I'm almost six months out. I try to avoid processed carbs as well because they trigger cravings for me and cause me to retain water. 

I do try to avoid dry meat though. I still like to moisten my protein so it sits better. Sometimes I add in some cheese,  drizzle with a little olive oil,  or some low sugar sauces. Part of the reason I love low sodium deli meat. It's very moist and an easy meal. 

Allison L.
on 7/24/14 8:48 am - Berkeley, CA

While I'm not relatively that far out (four weeks as of yesterday) I do know that, as other people have said, the carb stuff is a big no-no. Of course, that nixes bread, pasta, rice ... all the good stuff. Right now I'm craving a grilled cheese like there's no tomorrow and while I know I COULD have it, it would be a very bad idea.

Keep in mind that by design, by the time you're done getting your protein in, there's not much room for other stuff. That's what I keep telling myself too. :)

Desari63
on 7/24/14 8:57 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Grilled Cheese is not bad if you stay away from the white bread. If I have one (and that's not often), the only bread my stomach can handle is rye breads (jewish, russian, dark). It's less dense for me so I can manage one slice cut in half. It takes me about an hour to eat it but that's okay. Like I said, I don't have it often as breads don't hold the same appeal it used too...

Desari

Barbara McKeown

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/24/14 9:25 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

If it's the carbs you're worried about there's this bread by Bimbo, yeah that's the name brand I think, & it has less carbs than the regular brands & it's pretty good. I liked the honey wheat & I used them whenever I wanted a grill cheese sandwich.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Bufflehead
on 7/24/14 9:27 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

There isn't anything I can't physically tolerate. Carbonated drinks feel weird and mildly unpleasant but they don't make me ill. I tried them a couple times but I doubt I will again. I don't like bread the way I used to and it also feels weird in my stomach when I eat it. I can only have a little piece and then I just don't want any more.

Food I should/need to avoid includes white carbs, starchy vegetables, and sweets. I'll never get to my goal or have any hope of maintenance if those are any more than "once in a blue moon" types of foods.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/24/14 9:36 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'm almost 3 months post op & there is no foods that I have to avoid, now there's foods that I shouldn't have & I try to avoid, like high carb foods like pasta & rice, or sweets, I still have a little at times. The only thing I can say is chicken or fish that is too dry is a little hard to get down, in the past I would drink something to move it along & that is a no-no now. I also have a little problems with carbonated drinks, the doc says it's ok to have but let some of the fizz out for awhile b4 drinking it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views