ketogeni/ low carb lifestyle after diet?

riri0301
on 8/13/14 9:49 am - NY

has anyone adapted to a mainly ketogenic lifestyle diet or very low carb post-op and/or in maintainance mode ? (with occasional treats in moderation here and there )

ElizaM
on 8/13/14 10:00 am, edited 8/13/14 10:02 am
VSG on 07/24/14

There are a bunch of people here who do so or approximate it. I certainly plan to, to the degree that I am able, though I'm only 3 weeks post op. For the last five weeks I've been eating well less than 10 grams of carbs a day! (It makes me laugh because of all the nutritionists over the years who told me I had to eat at least 100 grams of carbs a day for brain function.) I also don't eat low fat products but at this point, my fat intake is way below my protein intake, which is not a true keto diet. 

I will say that moderation and occasional treats are not my friend. That is my personal preference/style but others vary. When I've been most successful with keto, I've reframed my idea of treats to be things like extra special cheeses and cuts of meat.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

riri0301
on 8/13/14 11:20 am - NY

i would imagine treats will come AFTER maintainance im awaiting surgery but dont plan on touching sugary things til after goal for fear of  upset tummy

Gwen M.
on 8/13/14 10:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I cook a lot of paleo recipes and I'd say my diet is high protein, moderate fat, low carb.  It's not "very low" carb, because I eat fruits, vegetables, and dairy.  I do avoid as many processed foods as possible and stick to "real" food.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

riri0301
on 8/13/14 11:21 am - NY

sounds like something along the lines i was thinking

KathyA999
on 8/13/14 12:04 pm

What a timely question!  I'm four years out, and have recently learned about the keto food plan, based on the book Keto Clarity.  Very similar to Atkins induction phase, and the author of the book followed the plan for a year before starting to write the book; he advocates nutritional ketosis (turning the body from sugar-burning to fat-burning) as a permanent lifestyle.  I've been following it for about a week now.  I shoot for 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carbs, in a total calorie count per day of 1400-1500.  I have to say, it isn't easy to get to 80% fat!

I had been experiencing quite a bit of hunger, and I was trying a lot of different things. I found that adding protein didn't help - I would still get ravenously hungry at about the three hour point. I was snacking a lot because of that, and even though my snacks weren't carb based (mostly nuts and sunflower seeds), I was slowly gaining weight. The thing that attracted me about the keto food plan (aside from the supposed health benefits) is that satiety lasts, and I find that to be true.  I can go about five hours between meals before I need to eat again.  Second is the carb cravings - completely gone.  I had been following a fairly low carb food plan already, a sort-of "paleo with cheese" plan, so I had a lot of the stuff in stock already.  Even so, I did experience the fatigue/brain fog/headache that are common when going this low on carbs. That lasted about three days, and then the energy kicked in!

I haven't gotten into the daily blood testing recommended in the book, for me that's a bridge too far.  Not saying I won't go there eventually, haha!  In any case, this food plan is working for me.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

riri0301
on 8/13/14 12:29 pm - NY

this is very insightful! getting in all the fat is hard im attempting keto and i am doint better than  thought, i did go off one day for a dessert and i found myself out of control craving carbs now that im back on it alot of the cravings are gone just a bit of "head hunger"

Jp2lose
on 8/15/14 5:20 am - Omaha, NE
I know you said you just started a week ago, but have you lost any weight? And are you getting all of your protein in from food or are you supplementing with shakes? I also try to follow a paleo plus cheese plus low carb shakes plan and my weight is not budging! I'm also 4 years out and have recently gained a few pounds that I want to get back off!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views