Essentials to have at home after surgery?

Oliviawashere
on 1/23/15 9:11 am, edited 1/23/15 9:11 am

What are some of the things you had stocked up on or had at home ready for you after you returned home from surgery? I am planning on going shopping this weekend, and would like to know what essetials I should have on hand at home when I get home from the hospital. I know my husband can run out & get whatever, but i'd just like to be prepared. Thanks

Bufflehead
on 1/23/15 9:16 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

heating pad, immersion blender, digital food scale, small amounts of a wide variety of approved drinks & broths, thermometer, a couple of Bubba kegs (or similar large insulated mug to keep your drinks hot or cold), lots of whatever it is that amuses you -- books, your Netflix queue full, DVR full of shows to binge through, lots of money in your Apple store account to buy lives in Candy Crush, new knitting patterns and yarn - you get the idea.

Amy M.
on 1/23/15 9:29 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Candy Crush.

Amy M.
on 1/23/15 9:26 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

As far as stuff I needed to buy I really only stocked up on protein powder, almond milk, and broth, SF applesauce, cottage cheese, and ricotta cheese.  Don't stock up on too much because once you get past the first few weeks you'll find that (like me) you have a ton of leftover broth packets and an unlimited supply of SF applesauce.  

I had a sweet little setup during my recovery.  I had a tray set up next to my recliner so that I could put my meds there (gas-x, prilosec, vitamins, pain meds, lactolose).  I also had water bottles on the tray and 3 shot glasses so that I could drink 1 ounce every 10-15 minutes.  I had blankets and pillows nearby (I was always freezing) along with my bathrobe and slippers.  I had my kindle, 3DS, and PC all set up along with Netflix streaming to the TV.  I knew that recovery was going to suck so I made sure to make it as plush as I possibly could.  

Good luck! Look forward to seeing you on the loser's bench! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/15 10:31 pm

I like your idea, gonna do the same thing thanks

Flabaway
on 1/23/15 9:51 am
VSG on 01/05/15 with

Haha, awesome Amy. I wish I'd had that set up.

Cottage cheese has proved to be my go to, after 5 days or so I abandoned fruit juices once drinking got easier so that I eat my calories and don't drink them. Every once in a while I have a few sips of cranberry or pomegranate juice. Just make yourself as comfy as possible and take a couple good brisk walks everyday!

Gwen M.
on 1/23/15 10:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here's a list of the things I bought.  The stuff I actually used is in bold.  Clearly I overbought!

Gas-X strips
Syntrax Fuzzy Navel, Roadside Lemonade, Lemon Tea
Stacklable pill reminder
LunchBots Dips Condiment Containers
Ziploc Snack Bags
Torani Sugar Free Holiday Variety Pack
Optimum Whey Double Rich Chocolate (my favorite), Vanilla, Banana
Almond Milk, unsweetened original
Glass 2-cup measuring cup (I had a plastic one but it doesn’t like the microwave)
Vitamins
Justin’s Natural Peanut and Almond Butter squeeze packs
Libbey Just Tasting Appetizer spoons and forks
Premier Protein Chocolate and Vanilla shakes (my favorite ready to drink)
Zojirushi Stainless Steel Mug (for hot drinks)
American Weigh Scales Black Blade Digital Pocket Scale
PB2
A number of cookbooks (Paleo and South Beach)
Medline Plastic Medicine Cups, 1 ounce
Blender Bottles - love these things
Quest Nutrition Variety Box
Dry Roasted Edamame
Turkey Pepperoni
Coconut Oil
Personal Cooler
Gasketed VitaCarry 8 Compartment Pill Box
Caffeine strips
The Beck Diet Solution
Comfy dress to wear to and from surgery
Expanding file folder
Fiesta salad plates - I still use these as my dinner plates
Ninja blender system
Hamilton Beach personal blender
Meds

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 1/23/15 11:32 am

The first week was clear fluids for me, so I had an assortment of Crystal Light, sugar free ice pops and jello (let it dissolve in your mouth), low fat/sodium chicken broth, decaf tea, and truvia.  The second week included protein powder (Designer Whey), skim milk (or almond milk) and Pure Protein cans in case I didn't want to blend the shake.  The Ninja works really well - my blender didn't last long at all.  I was on protein drinks and clear liquids for weeks 2, 3, and 4.  I didn't have cottage cheese or anything else until week 5.

I also had my tablet, TV remote, and Kindle nearby.  You will need to walk a lot, so slip-on sneakers will be helpful.  A pillow for your abdomen.  Tervis containers that will keep your liquids hot or cold.  They have ones with a flip top, so you don't need a straw.

You will eventually need baggies, 2 - 4 ounce containers (for storage), and a kitchen scale, measuring cups and spoons.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

GooseGirl
on 1/23/15 1:04 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I think you have been given a pretty comprehensive list. The only thing I bought (and used) that wasn't on the list was a Mr. Coffee mug warmers. I used it to keep my drinks warm and then, as I graduated to food I would place it under my plate to keep my food warm too. cold eggs are yucky :) I think it was $10 at Bed Bath & Beyond and was a huge help. 

lo_ri_p
on 1/23/15 8:38 pm - Ocala, FL

Broth, tea and sugar-free jello.  I had problems with cold liquids.  Jello and Italian ice were ok because I held them in my mouth before swallowing.  My surgeon told me that cold beverages can cause esophageal spasms.  Now I only drink hot or room temp beverages and don't get the chest pains I got at first.  Remember sip, sip, sip.  You suck in more air when you drink than you realize.  Also, keep a pillow with you at all times.  Hold it against your abdomen when getting up or moving around.  It helps with the pain.  Good luck and good health.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views