Whose In The Operating Room

Bbinder2002
on 1/23/15 5:02 am

I am curious how many people are in the operating room for a sleeve surgery.  Specifically the people who are working on you.  I ask because I see that most make 5 incisions with different tools in each of those.  How can the surgeon performing the sleeve operate all of those different instruments?  Is someone helping him and if so who?  I know my surgeon has about 5 or 6 other surgeons in his practice.  Wasn't sure if the surgeon bring another surgeon along for assistance.  I am waiting for insurance approval for the sleeve.

Gwen M.
on 1/23/15 5:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It will vary based on your specific surgeon.  I know that I had 2 surgeons in my OR, a few assistants, and the anesthesiologists.  And maybe a few students watching since it's a teaching hospital.  It must have been a big OR!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jgreenlee12
on 1/23/15 5:33 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I don't know exactly how many were in there but before I fell asleep im sure there were 6 or 7 people in there scrambling around and the surgeon wasn't even there yet. My surgery was "robotic assisted" and I have 6 incisions but i'm not sure who was doing what and if it was even human doing it.

mickeymantle
on 1/23/15 5:34 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

MINE uses a second surgeon unless he is using the robot  and there will be a few nurses and some times a pa and a anasteurist 

for get being bashful  in the hospital

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

LK85
on 1/23/15 5:36 am
VSG on 12/30/14

2 surgeons, anesthesiologist, lead surgical nurse, and a handful of other nurses, from what I remember. Roughly 6-7 people. 

hollykim
on 1/23/15 5:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

there are two people doing the surgery. One is your surgeon and the other may. Be a surgeon or may be a trained assistant.

they then have 4 hands for 5 instruments,and not every instrument is used every minute. For example,the tweezer type instrument that is used to pull your remnant stomach thru to the outside,is usually only used then. That mean that only 4 instruments are being used then,as an example. 

There is a surgical nurse who hands the surgeon his/ her equipment from the sterile field and a circulating nurse who is not sterile and records what needs to be recorded,brings sterile supplies in and hands them off,if more or something different is needed. 

There is,also,of,course,the anesithologist.

lo_ri_p
on 1/23/15 5:40 am - Ocala, FL

I went to school for surgical technologist.  Depending on the complexity of the surgery there is usually one surgeon (unless it is a teaching hospital), a couple surgical technologists (also referred to as scrub nurses), anesthesiologist (or nurse anesthetist under supervision of anesthesiologist)and at least one RN.  It's a fairly routine surgery these days there's not a lot of need for lots of doctors unless you have other health factors to consider.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/23/15 7:24 am

I had the anesthesiologist, two surgeons, and at least a couple of nurses. Really, though, they could stage a Wagner opera over you and you won't care.

Those incisions are for different access points.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

wendypchef
on 1/23/15 10:09 am

I have no idea, I vaguely remember being wheeled into the operating room and next thing I knew I was coming to in my room.

DH & I sleeved Nov 19,2014. http://wholisticwoman.com

Flabaway
on 1/23/15 10:15 am
VSG on 01/05/15 with

There were two surgeons, the anesthesiologist and the nurse/surgical assistants. I can't say exactly though because I was out before I even left my room. I remember getting on the gurney and then waking up.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views