Help I'm so scared I'm shaking

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/15 8:11 am

I have been reading posts and some are really scary. hormone dumping, mood changes, hair loss, head hunger, being regretful. I have sleeve appmt on 2/12/15 but I'm having second thoughts. I read with the sleeve, the fundus and ghrelin are removed. ghrelin helps dopamine work better in the brain. so having depression, anxiety/panic disorder and taking meds for them really scares me. Help me understand, does depression get worse?  Can any1 relate. Plz 

Gwen M.
on 1/27/15 8:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you tried incorporating meditation into your life?  Or just deep breathing exercises?  Feeling nervous and worried before surgery is completely normal, but you seem to be taking it to an extreme.  This is one of the reasons I've suggested therapy to you - it would be a good way to learn coping techniques.  Otherwise you'll just worry yourself to death.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/15 9:07 am

that's what anxiety is, the closer the day, maybe I should just stop reading some of these posts

Gwen M.
on 1/27/15 9:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is what poorly managed anxiety is.  And you don't need to live like that.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/27/15 8:52 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If the ghrelin/dopamine effect is critical for you, maybe you should reconsider and have an RNY since it does not remove the portion of your stomach that generates ghrelin.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

RizingPheonix
on 1/27/15 8:55 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 12/03/14

This is a major, life changing event.. The outcome must outweigh your current state of obesity. Its true, there are allot of things you'll have to overcome and just deal with, but remember, everyone's experience is different. In our culture of immediate gratification, we want to know that everything will be perfect and without any complications and there is a team of Doctors and surgeons doing their best to provide that for you, but even the best medical care can only do so much. You will have your own battles but the end result is worth it! You'll have better health and longevity, isn't that what everyone wants? Obese or not?

Learn to communicate with your healthcare team what you are going thru. Be fastidious about keeping a journal with your diet, moods, medications, questions, influences, menstrual cycles, etc. It will make a world of difference to you and your Dr. You'll be able to see trends, changes and watch your general physical and mental health closely.

Apart from that, I learned first hand there are going to be hormonal changes that are completely out of your control. You just have to ride it through. Regardless, communicate this to your medical and mental healthcare providers. I can't stress that enough. They have to be in communication with each other so that everyone is on the same page regarding your treatment and how to get the best overall outcome for you.

Now, the physiological changes are going to benefit you in the long run. Ghrelin and dopamine work together to create the feeling of being satiated or satisfied after eating. Don't worry, you will have that feeling again. Dopamine is a hormone that is involved in far more than just your appetite and dompaminergic receptors are found throughout the nervous system. As with all your hormones, your levels will even out. It can be a little erratic in the beginning but that is part of the reason why you must have a good support system to help you through your healing process. If you want more in depth info, feel free to PM me. I feel like this turned into a lecture but I hope I helped assuage a few of your fears. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/15 9:11 am

thank u. how do I PM u

Julie81
on 1/27/15 9:49 am

I am getting my VSG in two weeks.. I didn't know that.. I am also on meds for depression and anxiety 

VSG 2/11/15 with David Lautz

Latina63
on 1/27/15 10:09 pm

Well, you sure helped me! :-), tomorrow (28) marks 2wks post-op for me. I am a 51 yr menopausal woman with no ovaries so the first week was rough (mentally), this week is getting better already, sleeping better, feeling better about my decision. I am no longer diabetic or have high blood pressure! That in itself is worth it, besides the fact that I have lost 17lbs already yay!

It is definitely a life change about your relationship with food, you realize how food was the main part of your life, that in itself was scary when faced with it. In America we are bombarded every day with commercials, signs, grocery stores, restaurants, etc, all about FOOD, it's no wonder obesity is killing people faster that cancer now.

It will all even out, you just have to be strong and ride the roller coaster, it will be SO worth it and that is what I hear from 95% of people that have had it.

Good luck and God bless  

stoutts
on 1/27/15 9:49 am

I think nerves affect most of us in different ways. I was ready (or so I thought****il after the surgery and I had a terrible case of buyers remorse which of course at that point-was too late.

Just because you read some of the possible side effects does not mean it will happen to you. By the same token-doesn't mean it won't. Talk to your Dr., your PCP, or a good therapist. I can honestly say to you one year and almost two months after my sleeve surgery it is one of the best things I've ever done for myself-taking control of my health.  For two weeks after surgery I was very upset-I thought I'd made a terrible decision-but time and perspective have helped.  Best of luck to you.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views