First appointment with Dietician. Any questions I should ask?

samanthalc
on 3/12/15 4:16 am
with

I have a list of questions prepared to ask my dietician, but I'd appreciate hearing from you experienced VSGers if there are others I should not forget to raise.

(Eg: how can I limit hair loss?  How much will my pouch hold at one year?)

TruemansMom
on 3/12/15 4:28 am
VSG on 06/24/13

ask for samples of protein mixes and supplements. Some are ucky to different people and you can spend a lot of money trying unitl you find one you like. get everything in writing about the diet program and stages of eating post surgery you won't remember it when you are on pain meds!

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

WereYorkie
on 3/12/15 4:44 am
VSG on 05/11/15

I can answer the pouch part---it depends on you and how much you have stretched it out.

A lot of people don't realize that you once your stomach has healed, you have the ability to stretch it back out. I had a friend of mine that very thing in one years time.

My advice---follow doctor's orders! They are set up like that for a reason. This is the time to unlearn bad habits.

Good luck!

Dan1962
on 3/12/15 5:45 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

My advice would be this.  Listen Listen Listen!  I consider myself resonably intelligent but I was very surprised to learn the things I learned.  The things I used to do when I was trying to be good are directly the opposite of what their direction was.  Back before the surgery, when I felt like I needed to be good, I would eat rice and vegtibles.  My nutritionist was like no, worst thing for you, eat meat and skip that stuff.  So I started eating high protein low carb before my surgery and dropped 30# in no time.

I remember her asking, what are your two favorite vegtibles and I said corn and peas.  Two worst vegtibles for you, she explained it was like having double potatoe helping.    Those meeting were great and now as I advance through this, I meet with her every three months for a tune up.  Next meeting is for me to start thing about maintenance.  I'm not even remotely sure how to do that. 

Gwen M.
on 3/12/15 8:08 am, edited 3/12/15 8:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You'll have a sleeve, not a pouch for one ;)  

I was mostly curious about diet progression and vitamin requirements.  

Take notes!  We get SO much information pre-op that it's impossible to actually remember anything.  So take notes that you can refer to later :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

samanthalc
on 3/12/15 8:42 am
with

LOL- you're so right!

samanthalc
on 3/12/15 8:48 am
with

The meeting was interesting.  I got a list of what I should eat and when.  Then he walked through drinking before and after a meal, how to eat food (protein first), etc.  I think I learned a lot, but definitely need more sessions.  So much to learn...