Band removed, Sleeve date set

midwiferywoman
on 10/27/15 2:36 am
VSG on 12/04/15

I posted a few months back about having issues with my lap-band and planning to revise to a VSG. Just wanted to share an update . . .

So the area over my band port had started getting red and progressively got more painful and red, and actually became an open wound and eventually the PORT ERODED COMPLETELY THROUGH MY ABDOMEN. I mean, I could SEE and TOUCH my band port! It was crazy. Fortunately, I'd been taking really good care of the wound so I never got an infection or anything but this complication made my surgeon move up the surgery date from Dec 4th to Oct 20, which was about 4 days after I started being able to see the port. So I had the band removed last Tuesday and they were hoping to do the sleeve at the same time but the doc said there was just too much inflammation and that we needed to wait about 6 weeks before we could do the sleeve. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed to learn I'd have to go through second surgery. I really wish the sleeve was already done. In this last week that the band has been out, I've noticed how easy it is to eat anything that I want! Although, I've also noticed I've been having more stomach discomfort. I'm not sure if that's still just residual gas/constipation from the surgery and pain meds but I also thought it could be related to the fact that I'm eating more. I'm really trying to regulate it but it's just so weird not to feel any restriction AT ALL.

Besides that, the recovery from this surgery hasn't been horrible but it hasn't been easy either. The wound where my port was coming through my skin is healing slowly. It was probably at least an inch in diameter when the port was sticking out the area under the skin kind of got eroded as well, so they could only stitch it very loosely because it needs to heal from the inside out. I think I may be over-sensitive to the surgical adhesive because all of the incision sites are red and itchy. Plus, I got another itchy rash in other areas on my abdomen as well. The pain is getting better but it was pretty bad at first. I'm wondering how much different the pain will be when I have the sleeve done. Because this pain seems very concentrated over the largest incision and over the wound where the port was coming through, I'm wondering if the sleeve pain is going to be deeper and (i'm assuming) way more intense.

My sleeve surgery is scheduled for Dec 4th so I'm gearing up to start the liquid diet for the last two weeks of November. Does anyone have any suggestions for good-tasting and good-quality protien shakes? I want to try to keep it as natural as possible but I know I'm going to have to use protien powder. Is there an unflavored brand you recommend? I'm also still trying to get straight answers as to why I would need to change all my meds to chewable, crushable or liquid. The PA at my surgeon's office was saying something about it being because "the opening to your stomach will be alot smaller and the pill might get stuck." I just don't see how that could possibly be true with a very small pill! I understood it alot more with the band since the restriction is all caused by the band squeezing your stomach together to keep you from eating too fast. But with the sleeve, it's not like your esophagus has gotten smaller, just your stomach. IDK . . . I just KNOW I'm going to have VERY hard time being compliant with my daily meds if I have to crush and put them in food and they taste terrible. I mean, it sounds really petty and stupid but it's reality! LOL

Anyway, I just wanted to share an update since I haven't been on in a while and I've never heard of anyone else with a story about a band eroding through the skin . . . If you had, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for listening! :)

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle
SW: 237lbs | Lap Band Feb 2010 | LW: 188lbs | Post op baby Feb 2013 | July 2015 slipped band diagnosed | Oct 2015 band port eroded through adominal wall | 10/20/15 lap band removed | Regained to 215lbs | VSG: 12/4/2015 | LW: 148lbs but settled around 154lbs | Post-op baby #2 born Jan 2018 | CW: 160lbs

rhudson
on 10/27/15 4:57 am - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

Congratulations on your upcoming sleeve surgery.

I've been using Syntrax Nectar protein drink - it blends thin like a juice and comes in many flavors.

Unflavored, I can't live without my Genepro from Musclegen Research. I put it in soups, creamed spinach and I've read lots of folks put it in their coffee for a protein coffee drink.

Surgery Date: 12/9/14 - Highest Weight: 349 - Surgery Weight: 305 - Current Weight: 137
Goal reached in 13 months - 212 total pounds lost including pre-op
(M1: -20) (M2: -18) (M3: -11) (M4: -11) (M5: -14) (M6: -1) (M7: -18) (M8: -7) (M9: -15)

(M10: -13) (M11: -7) (M12: -10) (M13: -10) (M14 -6) (M15: -7) - 168 lbs lost post-op

midwiferywoman
on 10/27/15 2:52 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

Thanks! And I appreciate the protein suggestions. I'm gearing up to be ready for this change!

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle
SW: 237lbs | Lap Band Feb 2010 | LW: 188lbs | Post op baby Feb 2013 | July 2015 slipped band diagnosed | Oct 2015 band port eroded through adominal wall | 10/20/15 lap band removed | Regained to 215lbs | VSG: 12/4/2015 | LW: 148lbs but settled around 154lbs | Post-op baby #2 born Jan 2018 | CW: 160lbs

sushiflower100
on 10/27/15 9:20 am

That is insane. I can't believe it eroded out of your body. Those bands are a menace.

Lap band in: 1/28/11
Lap band out: 5/13
VSG: 10/28/15
HW: 315
Start of Optifast 10/14: 305.5
SW 10/28: 289.5
CW: 239.0

midwiferywoman
on 10/27/15 2:50 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

Yeah, it's crazy how when I was getting it five years ago, it was all "they're great, less invasive, no cutting, the band is the answer!" And now my docs are like, "we don't even recommend them anymore, you're lucky I love you're lucky it just came through your abdominal wall and didn't erode completely through your stomach"

I guess I should've expected this with putting a foriegn object in my body, but I never thought it would be this bad!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 79 views