VSG Surgery this week! Any advice?

lovelyrita
on 12/19/16 9:05 am - Hamilton, ON, Canada
VSG on 12/22/16

I'm getting ready for surgery, just finished up my pre-op appointment this morning. I did some light shopping this weekend and I think I have most of what I need ready.

Just dealing with the pre-op jitters now. Nothing extreme, just like what I went through before my c-sections.

Any general or specific advice you'd give a VSG newb?

Stacy_WLS
on 12/19/16 10:26 am

Good luck!  My husband is getting his tomorrow, so we are on a similar time frame.  I'd make sure you have lots of liquids for when you get home.  Don't buy too much of one flavor because your tastes could change.  

Vitamin Water Zero was a life saver for me -- gotta get in your water.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Joshua H.
on 12/19/16 10:37 am
VSG on 10/26/16

I agree with Stacy_WLS, make sure you have the stuff at home (I would recommend all the way up to the time you get clearance to drive again).  That way you don't have to worry about where its going to come from once you get home.

Donna L.
on 12/19/16 10:55 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Enjoy the next six months as much as you can. :)  You will miss them over a year later.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

rachelp
on 12/19/16 11:23 am
VSG on 08/01/16

You can physically prepare all you want but the real challenge is Be prepared for the mental side of the surgery. My biggest challenge so far has been mourning the loss of food, throwing out uneaten food (because we waste so much), head hunger, going out to eat and enjoying food. I miss the good ol "stuffed" feeling. The new full is way different. It becomes the norm eventually. Some people go through moments of regret although I never really did. I just had to let go of an old friend who used to make me feel good.

Also, be prepared to consider that your surgeon and Nutritionist might give you bad advice on what to eat. Please research this site to see what people are eating. For example, I was told cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, macaroni, oatmeal, noodles were all ok on soft foods. Nothing will kill your weightloss faster! No carbs. They also told me I can eat 1100 to 1600 calories a day! That is horrible advice!  

At first you will be told a protein goal. Don't freak out because you probably won't even get close. Focus on getting your water in. You have enough fat on reserve so you won't starve. You WILL get dehydrated easy though. Sip Sip sip.

No worries, we are here to help...you got this! Good luck!  and congrats!

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

akindofmagick
on 12/19/16 12:20 pm - MD

Concur on the protein goal and NO CARBS advice!

I've not had a problem with wasting food, though. If I eat out, I get one, low-carb appetizer or a small salad (which I may split with one of my kids). If it's a frozen dinner, I cut it in half, and make it last two meals (okay, after tossing half the rice my favorite meals typicall have into the compost bin!!). I only rarely eat these types of meals, tho. Typically I cook - I love cooking. And if I'm cooking from scratch, I weigh out my portions and freeze meal sized bags or bowls for easy grab-and-go lunches or dinners.

Example: I made black beans (from a cup of dried beans) last week. Split them into 5 plastic bowls, added scallions and shredded cheddar cheese. Froze three of them. Had the other two for lunch two days in a row. SOOO filling and yummy! Heat the beans and cheese, stir, then garnish with black pepper and chipotle Tabasco sauce, some homemade dehydrated cherry tomatoes from my garden's bounty last summer (all three of these add-on ingredients I keep at my desk at work), and a small chunk of avocado.  No waste, and will keep me full for several hours! :)

Another example: I love to make stir fries. Am a long-time member of the Facebook group, Wok Wednesdays. Grace Young, the chef leader of the group, is the Weigh****cher's official stir fry guru. I'll make one of her dishes, and - if there are noodles or rice involved - I'll pull out a couple of small bowls of the meat and veg for my next two meals, then add the rice or noodles for my kids, who love lo mein and fried rice.

I've just started following The Happy Pear on YouTube, and there's a nice variety of vegan dishes I'm planning to try soon, too, again, without carbs... or coconut milk (of which they do use a lot!). I typically make a meat dish and a veggie dish for dinners for me and the kids... (my Instant Pot got returned after one use - just not my style of cooking).

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

jachristmas
on 12/19/16 1:35 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

Just had surgery Wednesday and everyone here gives great advice. Definitely have a variety of Liquids or approved plan items on hand because no telling how your tastes will change. Take it easy and sip sip sip! Walk when you feel you can because it really helps push that gas out. I had very little pain from the incisions and barely needed the pain meds but I did struggle with the effects of the breathing tube..coughing isn't comfortable with incisions but a pillow placed over your tummy helps. Was glad everyone suggested chapstick! It's great to stay busy to help keep your mind calm before surgery. I made sure all my Christmas shopping was done and wrapped and got all the laundry caught up and gave my house a good cleaning so I could focus on recovering. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Bonkerz1
on 12/20/16 2:30 am
VSG on 06/12/16

I had surgery two weeks ago.  Definitely have all liquids available. I found soft sf jelly really helped with the nausea.  I didn't have a lot of pain but the nausea sucked.   Also have some herbal teas for constipation because that isn't pleasant either. It's not as bad as I had heard and the weight seems to be falling off. Best wishes and it won't be long and you'll be on the other side. 

dawncoates
on 12/21/16 12:04 pm
VSG on 12/07/16

Congratulations, be gentle with yourself.

Readyjwc
on 12/23/16 2:44 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

By now you've had it done - congrats from NH!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views