First Seminar VSG

queenb39
on 4/7/19 2:21 am

Hello everyone I am new to this so please bear with me. Is there anyway I can jump start the process and start with a special diet that you recommend? Are there any pointers that you would tell me going forward. My seminar is next week. I am in the Georgia area and my doctor is dr. Joseph Morris. I would appreciate any opinions or comments thank you so much

catwoman7
on 4/7/19 5:46 am
RNY on 06/03/15

many (but not all) insurance companies require that you have a supervised diet (often six months) with a physician or dietitian before getting approved. If yours does, whoever is supervising your diet should come up with a plan for you. If you're not required to go through a supervised diet, then the best thing you can do is start making gradual changes to your diet so you get used to the way you'll be eating after surgery. For example, start gradually lowering your calories. Start eating more protein and fewer carbohydrates. Start weaning yourself off carbonated beverages. Start practicing separating eating from drinking (i.e., don't drink anything for 30 minutes after eating). If you start making some or all of these changes now, the post-surgery eating rules won't seem as draconian to you

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Pobearsam7
on 4/7/19 8:42 am

Yes definitely start looking at what you eat and start to cut back

i had 6 months to cut back and it was hard I started with soda, alcohol and sweets

start gradually

now since I'm post op I will have cake a few times a yr for bdays in my family

I have not touched alcohol nor soda since surgery

i have know ppl who have but not me

also start looking up bariatric friendly recipes on line and try them out

I make crustless quiche now and I love it all it is is plain Greek yogurt eggs and what ever veggies or meat I want

Kelly                

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/7/19 7:39 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Check with your insurance company now to see what their requirements are. Some (not all) plans require that lose a certain amount of weight before surgery; others require a "medically supervised diet" where you check in with your doctor about your eating. Every plan is different so it's hard for us to give you specifics.

If you struggle with emotional eating, I would suggest seeking help for that sooner rather than later. As many of us on the boards say, "surgery fixes your stomach, not your head." Many people work with a therapist or counselor, and it may be a good idea to get started on that befor eyou have surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PCBR
on 4/8/19 7:37 pm

Hi, there --

Before you jump start losing weight, know what your insurance requirements are. My first consult, I "missed" my insurance-required BMI by a fraction of a pound.

That said, big +1 to Sparklekittu's therapy reco. Line that up. Wish I'd done it--have stumbled without that support in place.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

queenb39
on 4/8/19 7:52 pm

Well thank you so much for the info! You are doing really well!

Valerie G.
on 4/15/19 7:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Get with insurance and see if they require a pre-op diet. If they do, start it officially with doc supervised visits (they will probably require that anyway).

Another thing you can work on kicking right now are caffeine (it slows healing), soda (because it hurts) and smoking (because some docs refuse to operate if there is nicotine in your system).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 69 views