I'm a newbie and I finally have a surgery date!

NiaLong
on 5/2/19 7:19 am
VSG on 04/22/19

Hi Guys!

I'm brand new here and I just got a surgery date of June 4th. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I'm just hoping and praying I get good results from VSG. Does anyone have any advice they'd like to share for the journey ahead?

TheWombat
on 5/2/19 5:18 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Congratulations! My suggestions:

1. Spend the time between now and surgery identifying your triggers for overeating or eating the wrong things, and develop a plan for how you'll deal with those situations in future.
  2. Don't buy a lot of things to eat post-surgery. Most of us find that our tastes change. That protein shake you liked before and bought a crate of may taste yucky afterward. You'll be on liquids (plus possibly porridge or something like that) immediately after surgery, so there will be plenty of time for shopping later.
  3. Try not to worry (I know that advice doesn't help much!)If you watch videos or read posts about people's surgery experiences, what sticks in your mind are the bad things! Most people seem to have a quick, smooth recovery. When I woke up, one of my first thoughts was "All that worrying was a big waste of time." I only had very mild nausea, which was quickly corrected by my nursing staff. I didn't really feel any pain.
  4. One thing worth buying beforehand is a couple of tiny bowls with lids (for storage) and a couple of small plates (e.g., saucer-sized).
NiaLong
on 5/6/19 6:02 am
VSG on 04/22/19

Thank you for this advice! I'm really focused on the first tip you gave. Identifying triggers because I know at the end of the day, it's all mental. We can alter the stomach but it doesn't alter the brain.

Nurse8724
on 5/2/19 2:06 pm

Hey just wanted to say I'm a newbie too and my surgery date is may 14th so I don't have any experience yet but we could definitely use each other for support along the way since we are so close together in time. I really like what was suggested about identifying triggers. I stress eat really bad at work and resort to junk when I'm tired and don't want to cook. I really need to look at what I'm gonna do to overcome work stress and being extremely busy all the time. Anywho, good luck with your surgery. I will be posting on here and letting everyone know how mine goes. 12 DAYS LEFT!

NiaLong
on 5/6/19 6:01 am
VSG on 04/22/19

Congrats! I'm super excited for you and YES we can definitely be of support to one another. I'm a stress eater as well and a looking to see counseling to identify any other deeply rooted triggers so that I can be as successful as possible during this journey. Anything that I learn I'll be sure to share. We got this!

jmk187
on 5/3/19 5:21 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Best advice I can think of is continue to do the pre-op diet and continue to do any exorcise you might have been doing to be in the best surgery shape you can be in. Good luck!

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

NiaLong
on 5/6/19 6:01 am
VSG on 04/22/19

Thank you! :)

Kymbrlym
on 5/9/19 8:46 am
VSG on 05/20/19

I'm new here also. It's definitely reassuring to read others concerns about the surgery. I don't feel like I'm crazy for worrying. My surgery date is 5/20/19. I'm definitely struggling with the pre op diet I'm on. Most of the food tases horrible. Lol. I think I could have handled a liquid diet better.

I'm so mad at myself for spending so many years drinking lots of pop, eating lots of junk and fast food. To suddenly stop eating all this bad food has been hard. I feel like a terrible person for struggling with this but it's reality.

Im 57 years old and have zero energy and have a hard time just getting around. I just want to get healthy and get on my way to a new life. I know I can do this, but sometimes the doubt and anxiety keeps knocking at my door.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views