To: 2 weeks post op with regret

ScaleSkater
on 9/5/19 7:19 am

You did something to your thread making it unanswerable, at least for me. Here's my reply. If it is just me - mods feel free to move into thread.

Chill. While my meals are very much smaller, they aren't tiny. It starts out that way the first year, but normalizes over time. There are significant changes and you better get your mind right and right now. You might need therapy, I did and it makes the difference. You need to change your relationship with food, but the tiny food thing isn't life long. But and this is a real but - the core changes are!! Good luck

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

White Dove
on 9/5/19 7:54 am - Warren, OH

Something is broken on the original post.

I am almost 12 years out. Yesterday I had a steak salad for lunch. It had six ounces of grilled steak over a huge bed of greens. I asked for a takeout container so I could bring half of it home for supper. But I easily ate every bite of the salad and gave the takeout container to a friend.

Your new sleeve is like a new born baby. You feed it tiny amounts of food while it is a baby. But it quickly becomes an adult sleeve and by six months you will be able to eat fairly large portions again. By the end of eighteen months you will be able to eat as much as before surgery.

Just because you can eat more does not mean that you should. Use this honeymoon period to lose as much weight as possible. I would love to be back in the days when I was completely stuffed after eating on ounce of meat. Now I eat small meals because that is the only way to keep from regaining.

Learn how to eat to lose and maintain the loss. Dense protein first, then non-starchy vegetables, then a small amount of fruit if needed. Avoid or completely eliminate flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, corn, and cereals. Alcohol carries the risk of liver damage, transfer addiction, and weight gain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Arlenello
on 9/5/19 7:44 pm
VSG on 08/22/19

Thanks so much for all of the advice!!!

januarybrothers
on 9/17/19 9:22 pm, edited 9/18/19 7:13 am - PA
VSG on 02/11/12

Periodically I come to this support page because I used to live on it prior to my VSG surgery in 2012 & I remember when someone came through and posted when post their surgery how grateful I was and made me feel I was not about to make a mistake & afterwards that I had not made a mistake. It?s been 7 years since my surgery and I will say the regrets are very very few. It wasn?t easy but at some point you will be able to eat more. The only times I?ve regretted was when I was eating something soo good but couldn?t have but a few bites but I always can have it an hour or 2 later so it?s really All Good! So hang in there. When you are able to wear those smaller clothes you will feel so much better. I remember how the juice from cabbage greens was so so good during that liquid period. Then was the soft foods period & finally progressing to regular food, only a bite or two initially. Still now if I eat a bite too much, everything I ate probably will come up. So just gauge or measure how much you know you can eat as time goes on & just don?t cross that line. I usually fix more than I?m going to eat that I can eat off of later because in my house it may be nothing left to eat from the next couple of hours. I keep water or crystal light for my water to drink through out the day no matter where I go & if I wake up during the night, I?ll just take a few sips & go on back to sleep. It will get better!!! Best of Luck!!!

**And please do not forget the Protein Shakes, since we can't eat enough to get all the nutrients our body needs daily, I have to take my multivitamin supplements & protein shakes are a must!!

jmk187
on 9/5/19 8:04 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Ugh! so its not just me...I typed a huge reply to that thread and it was all for nothing. I wanted to scream!

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

tracyringo
on 9/5/19 10:18 am
VSG on 08/09/17

I tried 3 times to no avail. I am little over 2 years post op VSG and can eat 3 to 4 oz of dense protein depending on what it is and maybe a few bites of veggie, rice or, potato. I know the rice and potato are not for everyone but it works for me just fine in small amounts.

jmk187
on 9/5/19 4:55 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I tried 3 times lol. "I know the rice and potato are not for everyone but it works for me just fine in small amounts." That's what it's all about..finding what works for you.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Cathy H.
on 9/5/19 12:26 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Been having the same problem!! To the OP:

Calm down and breathe. A lot of people have regrets after surgery because the beginning seems tough. And it is. But if you hold the course, and follow your surgeon's plan, you'll be fine. I don't know what you've been reading, but nobody I know can only eat 2 or 3 teaspoons. You would die if that is all you could eat. At the end of my "healing phases" at 9 weeks post-op, I was eating 1/4-1/3 cup. As you heal and the swelling goes down, you will be able to eat more. Everyone is different but I was told my new sleeve would hold 8 oz by weight (not a cup measure, that's volume not weight). At about 18 months post-op I was eating 3-4 oz of protein, and another 2 or 3 ounces of veggies or whatever, depended on the day. Now, at 3 years out, I can eat 8 oz at the most, but stay in the 6-8 oz range. I can eat half an 8 oz steak and a serving of broccoli when I'm out, and that's plenty. Not 2 or 3 teaspoons.

Personally, I don't go for the low fat stuff. I did or the first 4 months, following my plan to the T. But at 4.5 months I switched to the Ketogenic way of eating and I am still Keto today. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT for right after surgery, you can't eat enough to do it properly. But by 4 months out I was able to eat about 4-5 oz at a time.

The thing to remember is protein first, then good simple low carbs. And DRINK DRINK DRINK!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Member Services
on 9/5/19 1:28 pm - Irvine, CA

We have our IT Staff looking into this issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience but we greatly appreciate each of you taking the time to still reach out to the original poster in this manner to see that they got their question answered.

Thank you for your patience as our team works to fix the problem.

Member Services

Member Services
on 9/5/19 7:14 pm - Irvine, CA

The IT Staff has fixed the problem on the other post and you can now reply directly to that thread and poster.

We thank you again, for making the extra effort to respond to the original poster and providing support to those in the community.

Member Services

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views