Linda B.’s Posts

Linda B.
on 7/28/15 8:36 pm
Topic: RE: Finally found a house and we're off to the State Games of America

Thanks Tracy,

We arrived safely tonight. I compete tomorrow evening and Thursday late afternoon. We head for Lincoln on Friday for ceremonies and Mike will run the 5K on Saturday. Then we head back to CO. We both have to go back to work Monday.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Linda B.
on 7/26/15 10:20 pm
Topic: RE: Finally found a house and we're off to the State Games of America

After a whole lot of searching, and one house we had to back out of due to inspection issues, it looks like we found something. The kitchen is amazing, and I am looking forward to being able to cook like I normally do again. Eating properly has been a bit of a challenge while we are staying with our son.

Mike B (DH) has discovered that there are multi-use trails all over the place here. He has found a couple of places to run already. These trails are also used by biker riders, walkers, and dogs.

It looks like I also found a rink. Now I need to find a coach. There are a couple of coaches there that my former coach knows and recommends, so I'll check to see about a meeting as soon as we are a bit more settled.

But, we are taking a little break and we are headed to the State Games of America. I will compete in two events, and Mike will run a 5K. It is a short run for him, but this will be his first race since he broke his foot. Since it a new sport for the games, he didn't have to qualify either. Me, I had to take a medal at the California State Games last year to qualify. It is an honor to be able to participate.

Now I know this is not directly related to our sleeves, but yet it is. You see, the further out you get, the more you can enjoy being active and going after dreams that may not have been possible with a lot of extra weight. You will settle into a normal pattern of physical activity and eating properly.

One more thought, since most of our work clothes are in storage, and we are headed back to classrooms in a week, we had to go shopping. Because of our commitment to a healthy, active lifestyle, we both fit in the same size we have worn for a while now. the fitting room is now a fun place. 

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Linda B.
on 7/26/15 9:55 pm
Topic: RE: Frisco- Quick Stir Fry

That looks amazing. I can't wait until we move into our new place so I can really cook again. Since we are still at our son's place, and he lacks kitchen equipment, things have been a bit boring. However, I will no longer have to drive an hour to get to a Trader Joe's or Sprouts. I will also now have access to Natural Grocers and Whole Foods. That is going to be great. Three of them are really close to the rink I have been using since we got to CO.

Linda B.
on 7/3/15 8:55 pm
Topic: RE: X-Post, we have moved to Aurora CO and need a support group

Some of you know that DH (Mike B) and I are further out and at goal, but we want to keep it that way. We have participated in, and co-led (for the past year) a support group since we were pre-op. Now, we are in Aurora and we need the accountability of a support group. If you know of one, please let us know.

Linda B.
on 7/3/15 8:48 pm
Topic: RE: In need of 'soft protein' recipe ideas please!!

I highly recommend this website, http://www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/. She is a regular poster on OH, she has a RNY, and loves to cook. There is a search feature. You can try her baked ricotta, it is AMAZING. We still eat it, DH is 3.5 years out and I'll be three years out in Sept. Now we add organic, grass-fed ground beef to the sauce. You can also search "mushies" for some great ideas.

Linda B.
on 6/9/15 10:43 pm
Topic: RE: Road Trip/Anniversary/Competition

Mike B and I are headed to Tahoe (about 8 hours away) for a competition I am skating in. I have three programs to skate. One that I am most looking forward to is a new one that has a football theme. Those who have read my posts during football season know that I am a die hard 49r fan. So, when the league I skate in chose "favorite sport" as a theme for the year, well I just had to get creative.

I will be skating in my jersey (size youth large) and gold football pants (would have never fit in those pre-op). The music is "I Left My Heart In San Fransisco" and I will have a football and a hanging poster of Candlestick Park. The category is light entertainment. I hope I do a good job when it counts.

We are also celebrating our 31st anniversary, just a couple of weeks late. It was actually on 6/3. We spent several anniversaries in Tahoe when we lived nearby. This time will NOT involve an all-you-can -eat buffet. We will choose our meal locations carefully. I am hoping that timing will allow for a hike to Emerald Bay and some outside time. I will need to practice, but it will be good to breath some mountain air.

We are hoping to visit some friends and family who live reasonably close. It will be the last time for a while because of our upcoming move. 

So, why am I telling everyone all of this, and how is it WLS related? Well, before we both had our VSG's, travel was all about food and being a couch potato with a change of scenery. Now, it is about being active, enjoying participating in a sport, and enjoying new scenery with a whole different perspective.

For those of you who are pre-op, or new post-op, I know sometimes it is hard to imagine not thinking about your WLS  most of the time. But, you will settle in and start to enjoy your new healthier body. Enjoy the journey.

Linda B.
on 6/7/15 11:16 pm
Topic: RE: Honoring Yourself

Since I used to work for a school that was year round, and super busy for summer school, i am just beginning to understand the concept of teachers having a break. Mine will be short depending on which district I land in in CO. Mike B already has an offer.

Even though I am still working until 6/30, (Mike is off already), we are heading to Tahoe this week for a delayed anniversary celebration (31 years) and I have a competition over the weekend. I will have to work from out hotel, but that is okay. I need to visit our old stomping grounds one more time before we head Colorado.

Linda B.
on 6/7/15 10:57 pm
Topic: RE: Life goes on - random

Sounds like a rough patch for sure. I hope you are going to be okay.

Linda B.
on 5/31/15 11:30 pm
Topic: RE: Frisco- Eating/Drinking Basics- RE: Pyloric Valve 101

When Mike & I sub for the support group leader, I reference this post, a lot. Most of the folks that attend are pre-op so I think sharing this is valuable. Kaiser tells them to not eat and drink at the same time, but they don't explain why. So, I share this post to explain why. It is like watching light bulbs go off over people's heads when they begin to understand this concept. Just thought you'd like to know that this post helps people who aren't even on OH.

Linda B.
on 5/31/15 11:21 pm
Topic: RE: Before / Current

Good to see you. I haven't even lurked for a while. We've been in a frenzy of home improvement hell. We are getting ready to move to Colorado. Now that the house is up for sale, I can hang out a little more often, and it sure was a happy moment to see your post.

Linda B.
on 5/31/15 11:13 pm
Topic: RE: Swerve??????

I use it for low carb baking. I have a neighbor who is diabetic and another who is gluten and lactose intolerant. Since DH and I both have sleeves and eat low carb. I use swerve, almond flour, coconut items, etc. and good blogs for recipes. Since we don't eat much, but like an occasional treat, when I bake, I share with my neighbors. Oh, the powdered version is great but is much finer than powdered sugar. Be very careful when handling/mixing or you will have a huge mess. I mix it with cream cheese, butter, vanilla protein powder and cream for a cream cheese frosting/strawberry dip. However, I DO NOT recommend this during the losing phase, only occasionally in maintenance.

Linda B.
on 5/25/15 9:42 am
Topic: RE: I'm back (again) with life updates

I am so bummed that I missed that house. Lakewood is one of the suburbs we are considering. Mike has had a few phone/Skype interviews, I've scored one. We are applying to most of the districts in the area, and a few charter schools as well.

We currently live in the high desert, so housing is much less expensive that the LA area or up where you are. The Denver area is a bit more expensive, and not much is on the market right now. This will prove to be a bit of a challenge. We are hoping it all falls into place soon. We would like to be settled and unpacked in time to prepare for the new school year.

Linda B.
on 5/24/15 3:34 pm
Topic: RE: I'm back (again) with life updates

Hi Everyone, Mike B and I have been MIA for a while, but for a good reason. We have spent the last couple of months downsizing our stuff and getting our home ready for sale. We are planning on moving to Colorado this summer if we can sell our house, find a new one, and most important, find jobs.

Mike has also been suffering through a broken foot. That has meant, no running. It turns out that it was small and not visible on X-ray, so after 8 weeks in a walking cast boot with no improvement, he had an MRI that showed the problem. So, after our spring break trip to house hunt, he had to go into a cast for 4 weeks. He is just now able to use the treadmill and do about a mile.

I have competed as well through all of this. I am now preparing for a big competition in Tahoe next month. I am going to skate three programs, a technical, a light entertainment piece, and a drama piece. The light entertainment was crafted for the NorCal crowd. It is a light hearted tribute to Candlestick park and the 49ers. Now, I just have to find a place to stay that won't break the bank.

Oh, we broke out our summer clothes, and they still fit, this is a new concept for us, going more than a year without changing sizes. I love my VSG.

Linda B.
on 5/24/15 3:24 pm
Topic: RE: Flying - it's all good.

Sorry about the funeral, but what a great reminder that you are not the man you used to be.

Linda B.
on 3/22/15 12:47 pm
Topic: RE: Long day at airports

Yesterday DH (Mike B) and I had a very long travel day. We went through 2 plane changes, a few hours in airports, and lots of time in planes. A few years ago, the time in the planes would have been horribly uncomfortable ( I know, we did it a few times), but not yesterday. We fit in our seats with room to spare, even on the little regional jet. We even used the space beneath the seat for computer bags and were still alright.

I went to find us some food which required leaving the gate area to go upstairs and then a long walk, no problem. I took the stairs and wasn't winded. Mike stayed with the luggage because he is dealing with an injured foot. But other than that, the whole air travel experience is so different now that we are thinner.

Oh, one interesting thing did happen, I went to buckle my seat belt and noticed that the buckles were strange and I couldn't shorten the belt. The previous occupant used an extender and didn't return it to the flight attendant. I thought about how grateful I am that I had the VSG, the quality of life is so much better now, and little things such as a good travel day are now possible.

Linda B.
on 3/22/15 12:35 pm
Topic: RE: Dizziness after surgery, and weight loss

Is it getting any better now that you have some ideas about what could be causing it?

Linda B.
on 3/2/15 12:25 pm
Topic: RE: Desperate to find a chewable multivitamin that I like!

I also use the chewables from Trader Joe's. I was a lousy pill taker pre-op, not any better now, and I am 2 1/2 years out. The specialty ones from the bariatric companies are chalky, gross, and expensive.

Linda B.
on 3/2/15 12:15 pm
Topic: RE: Frisco- Doggy Bag Food

Great ideas. Mike & I go out sometimes and split something. We will usually have leftovers too. We are such a "cheap date." LOL.

Linda B.
on 2/11/15 2:58 pm
Topic: RE: 2015 OH NC-Who's Going??

I don't think DH & I will be able to make it this year Last year it was in August right before our students came back to school. October days off are hard to get as a teacher. The last two years were great, I am bummed we have to sit this one out.

Linda B.
on 2/10/15 10:33 am
Topic: RE: A Little Bit Hungry

The phrase that hunger is not an emergency has helped me bypass crappy food choices many times in order to wait for something more appropriate. Of course that goes out the window when I am in North Dakota. I may have to take half my kitchen with me the next time I visit the grandchildren.

Linda B.
on 2/10/15 10:27 am
Topic: RE: Just checking in

Good to see yo drop by  to say hello. I am glad that you are doing well and that so far you have kicked cancer's ass.

Linda B.
on 2/10/15 10:11 am
Topic: RE: Speaker Submissions end today - get yours in now!

Wish I could, but I don't think there is any way we can work out attending the conference this year

Linda B.
on 2/8/15 9:44 am
Topic: RE: This newbie needs encouraging words/advice

When DH & I were in out mushy phase, we ate Egg Face's Baked Ricotta, recipe here, http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html. And we also ate deviled chicken spread, refried beans, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and soft scrambled eggs. I would stay away from anything high in natural sugars for now such as the fruit and the apple juice. You want your body to get used to protein first, you can re-introduce quality carbs later.

Linda B.
on 2/8/15 9:36 am
Topic: RE: Usually just lose 75% of weight?

MsBatt is correct about the DS, it has the highest success rate but, if you should choose to do that surgery, make sure that the surgeon you choose is properly vetted and has plenty of experience. I say this because if not done correctly, it has a higher complication rate. any surgeons are just not qualified to do it.

I also want to point out that you can not trust a BMI chart. According to the BMI formula, my DH would have to weigh in at 164 to be "normal" but he looks sick and feels sick at that weight. He had his VSG three years ago, lost 100 pounds, put 10 back on on purpose. He runs 30-50 miles a week, he has completed 6 half marathons, and 3 marathons since her hit his goal.

I fall under the "normal" range under the BMI chart, but I think I could take off about 5-10 more pounds and still look and feel normal. My VSG was two years ago.

We know many people IRL who have had RNY and all but one have either had significant re-gain, or gained all back plus some. That is because the intestines start absorbing calories again after about two years. These people started letting old habits creep back in, and as a result, they are now all struggling to get that weight back off.

Ultimately, the goal is not really a number on a scale, it is a healthier life. Any of the surgeries will work, but you also have to work too, none of them are a magic fix. I hope this helps.

Linda B.
on 2/5/15 5:23 am
Topic: RE: Dropping in to say hi

Hi Pamela, it took me 9 months to get to goal. I stayed between 800-900 calories and really low carbs during that time. My carbs came from veggies and some berries. I still rarely eat white or starchy carbs. Oh, the loss does slow down as time goes on.

Most Active