Spokane Support Group?

sallyj
on 8/10/12 7:19 am - Spokane, WA
I moved to Spokane last September but can't seem to find a support group except the one that meets once a month for the Rockwood group.  Am I overlooking one?

If not, is there interests out there to get one started? 

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/12 10:14 am - WA
 I also moved to the area last year .I am looking to have surgery (Revision) in next few months. I am out in Springdale so I would be interested if it were held North of Spokane, say Deer Park (1/2 way). I know there is another woman in Springdale who just got hers done and there is a gentlemen in Colville (2 hours away). So maybe if it were in Deer Park you could get thier interest. I tried to find the Spokane area folks who had surgery or looking into surgery but could only find 2 or 3 people. I don't know why either since Rockwood is the only game in town there should be more. (I am not going to Rockwood). Good Luck, I know spokane needs more than one. Have you been to the one at the Center? Is it active and popular?
sallyj
on 8/12/12 6:32 pm - Spokane, WA
i don't know where Springdale is--or Deer Park for that matter--but could check it out.  How close is Deer Park to Colville? 

I only attend the one meeting at the downtown hospital.  I didn't really sense an openness to new people and there was a pretty "do what I say" approach founded on the old (now discredited by research) approach of calories in/calories out rather than an acknowledgement of the complexities of obesity.

I will look into how far Deer Park is and whether that's a viable option.

Thanks and good luck with the revision. 
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/12 6:43 pm - WA
Springdale is one hour north of spokane. Deer park is 1/2 way between them. Colville is 2 hours north of spokane.
sallyj
on 8/13/12 7:40 am - Spokane, WA
Ouch; that seems a bit far for regular meetings.  And I'd want to do twice a month ones.  anyone from Colville would have 1 1/2 drive each way!  Then there's winter to think about.  Hmm.  And we'd have to find somewhere to meet.  I don't know that it would work out.  Are your Colville friends online?  Maybe that is the way to go?  Develop an online structure where we would all be online at the same time.
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 10:12 am - WA
I hear what you are saying about drive times. For me driving in to town for major shopping is such a drag. I think you have a good idea about online meeting. Maybe a regular day and time in the chat room (seems no one is using it anyway). You could do a search in the search option for spokane or for Rockwood Clinic, and one for each of the Rockwood clinic Surgeons and come up with a list of people to contact to feel out for interest.
chickenoregg
on 11/13/12 7:18 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 02/26/13
I'm two hours north of Spokane (half hour north of Colville) and I'm just starting the WLS process. I've seen the RN and dietitian. But I am interested in a group. I share a car with my wife, and since we're so remote, a mix of online/ in person meetings might work best for me.

Is there still interest in this?

sallyj
on 1/3/13 8:39 am - Spokane, WA

Hi there.  I haven't checked this site in a while so didn't know you'd posted.  How is the process coming?  I would be interested in setting up an online support group as well.  I'm several years out but it is always nice to share ones experience and get the enthusiasm of someone starting out.  If you're still interested, please let me know.

Maybe come spring, we could alternate some "road trips" as well as the online!  I'm relatively new to Washington, so I'm always game for seeing more of it.

twohcts
on 1/3/13 3:59 am - Spokane, WA

I know this is an old message but I am in Spokane.  I have attended the Rockwood sponsored meeting a few times in the last year but like you, I wasn't given the impression that it welcomes new members or that it is really a place for support.  I want to meet and just have good, ongoing discussion and suggestions.  If you are still interested in meeting in Spokane, maybe we can just pick an day each month and do it. 

Holly

sallyj
on 1/3/13 7:50 am - Spokane, WA

I am very interested.  And, as usual, this being the start of a new year have resolved to get back on track, so the timing is great.  Do you have a preference for when or where?  Tuesday nights are good for me, but other than that my schedule is pretty flexible. 

Sally

Most Active