Support Groups?

lulabeth
on 4/22/08 6:01 am - Radisson, WI
Hi.  I'm new here.  I have just started on the road of WLS for myself.  I've got a long road before me to get to the operating room as I have 6 months of pre-op work and I have yet to decide what surgery I am going to have.  Here are my vitals:  I'm 30, married, no kids, 354 lbs, 5' 6", BMI of 56.  I was initially determined to have Lap-Band...but now that I've been doing some research and soul searching, I'm starting to think that maybe it is not the best option for me.  I've got a lot of thinking and even more soul searching to do.      Anyway, I'm very excited to find such an active group of people who've all been through WLS, or are going through it.  The RN at my surgeon's office recommended checking this site out, and I'm glad she did.   I live in the Northwoods region, up by Hayward, WI, and have found no support groups around here.  So, does anyone know of any groups even remotely close?
Joni O.
on 4/22/08 11:20 pm
I moved to Oskosh in the midle of preparing for surgery, but started out in Cumberland.  Rice Lake has a great support group that meets monthly.  If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you the contact information.
lulabeth
on 4/23/08 5:01 am - Radisson, WI
I can handle getting to Rice Lake, that would be great!  Thanks for the help.
Jane2008
on 4/23/08 3:57 am - WI
Hi, I am new myself. In fact this is my first post. I haven't even put much about me up. I like this site very much and am learning more every day. I am new to WLS too. I just went to an informational meeting on the 14th and am waiting for pre-approval. I don't know when I will have surgery. I know I will have it in Neenah. I am 49, 3 children, married, a teacher and I weigh 389. My BMI is 65. Boy was I shocked! My scale is not the same as in Neenah. I had origainally wanted lap-band, but have moved to a desire for a RNY. The chance to have it laproscopically is a the big draw for me. I hope that it will go that way. I have been a big person all my life and am now on 8 different medicines. I want to get healthy, move with more finess, and not be a topic of concern for others. It is really beautiful in Hayward. I wish you success.
lulabeth
on 5/1/08 1:15 am - Radisson, WI
Thanks for the wishes!  Yes, it is beautiful in Hayward.  Although, it took some getting used to for me, being originally from the West Coast.  Good luck on your journey, too!  It sounds like you've got the motivation, so keep it up!
sunilsmom
on 4/29/08 3:24 am - WI
I don't specifically know about your area, but I would check the hospital where you plan to have surgery. I think that's the only way to find out about the support groups. I could be wrong, though. Sandy
lulabeth
on 5/1/08 1:17 am - Radisson, WI
Yeah, I asked them about support groups and they don't know of one in this area.  My doc's office is an hour and a half away in Duluth, where there is a good support group.  I was hoping to find one closer to home.  Thanks for the advice!  Bethany
petunia773
on 5/1/08 1:45 am - Stratford, WI
I searched the Marshfield Clinic Website and here are the support groups they offer:

Meeting information

Eau Claire/Ladysmith First Thursday of each month at 5:00 p.m. Eau Claire Center and teleconferenced to the Ladysmith Center 715-858-4500 (Eau Claire) or 715-532-2300 (Ladysmith) Marshfield Area Bariatric Support Group Second Tuesday of each month from 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Marshfield Center - Lawton Center Rooms A & B 1-800-782-8581, ext 75480 or 715-387-5480 Third Monday of each month from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Marshfield Center - East Wing Lower Level 1 (enter east wing main entrance and follow signs) 1-800-782-8581 ext. 75480 or 715-387-5480 Northern Wisconsin Bariatric Surgery Support Group Fourth Monday of each month from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Minocqua Center (main entrance then follow signs) 715-358-1167 Rice Lake Support Group First Thursday of each month at 5:00 p.m. Marshfield Clinic - Rice Lake Center 715-236-6308 - Karla Arrigoni, Dietitian - for more information Wausau Area Bariatric Support Group First Monday of each month (except in July and September) from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Wausau Center, Patio Room 715-675-3592

The group in Rice Lake is probably your best bet, unless you go to Ladysmith to teleconference in with the group in Eau Claire. (I'm originally from Ladysmith.)

Highest Weight: 290 * Surgery Weight: 273.5 * Current Weight: 176 * Goal Weight: 160
Make me a Facebook Friend - "Becky Curtis"

pixiegirl721
on 6/18/08 3:09 pm - Wausau, WI
sweet read this post and it answered my question on if there was a support group in Wausau. My surgeon is out of Point but my car would never make it monthly there to attend a support group and I really feel the need to be around others that are and will be going through what I will be..Thanks for the info... Um any idea on why July won't have one on the 1st Monday?

sylvie_55
on 7/17/08 7:35 am - Palmyra, WI
Hi

My name is Sylvia and I am 53, married and have 1 child who is 22. 

When I started my journey into WLS, I originally thought of lap band but my surgeon, Dr. Manfred Chaing of Bariatric Institute of Wisconsin in Waukesha, was not too enthusiastic about it because I weighed 407 at my highest and he didn't feel it would be most effective. 

I went through all the insurance hoops, pre-surgery diet and got my operation on July 9th.  I am recovering right now and was going to attempt going back to work after 1 week but i was told not to (I had a couple of minor complications--fever, bladder which resolved but it still wipes you out).

If you are employed and your employer's insurance covers it, I would plan on 2-3 weeks out.

I am 1 week out and between the pre surgery diet and my post, I am down to 380.

Let me know how you are doing in your journey.  I can't help you with a group but some support groups don't have many early post ops and this is a site where you can see some of that.

Most Active