Need Insurnace Help

janjan_58
on 2/16/10 10:54 am
My daughter has been trying for the past year to have her insurance pay for bariatric surgery, to no avail.  She has one of the best insurance policies through the State of Wisconsin, but they refuse to pay for this type of surgery.  She needs an immediate knee replacement due to an injury while in high school.  The orthopaedic surgeon won't do the surgery unless her BMI falls within a certain criteria.  She doesn't have much time left before her knee is inoperable and she will be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life.  She is only 20 years old, and has had seven knee surgeries so far.  Time is running out.

Can anyone help or suggest an insurance company that would pay for bariatric surgery?
to_kris
on 2/17/10 1:08 am - Menomonee Falls, WI

I would work with the doctor’s office to appeal the decision!  If you meet all the requirements and do the preliminary work the insurance requires they shouldn't be able to deny her.  It took me a year to get everything together.  Also, I would look into getting a different doctor for her knee.  BMI shouldn't be the only factor when deciding to do a replacement. 

I have HRISP insurance and so far so good (three weeks out)!

Good luck!
Kris

Tammy G.
on 4/30/10 5:10 am - Cudahy, WI
I have badger care united health care and it's a covered benifit through them. Good luck
Most Active