VBG

Jeanna B.
on 6/22/03 12:12 pm - Milwaukee, WI
Hi everyone. I usually don't post, but my surgery date is nearing, and I have a few questions still floating in my mind. My surgeon suggested the VBG, and I have done a great deal of research on, but I want to hear from anyone who has had the VBG. A lot of what has been posted on here seems to be negative. I'm sre there has to be a bunch of 'successful losers' out there. I would also like to hear from anyone who has had children after WLS. I went for my pre-admit tests, and the nurse there said I should consider having my tubes tied because I won't be able to carry to full term after WLS.
vorth
on 6/22/03 10:34 pm - Mineral Point, WI
Jeanna: I had the VBG 6 years ago (this week actually) and it has failed. I also have been doing a tremendous amount of research on the RNY and other options. I have decided that RNY is the best choice. My VBG was done by Dr. Namdari in Milwaukee. Sorry, but I have nothing good to say about him. He only does VBG and I only wish that I would have done more research back then on it before choosing that option. I lost about 75#'s total in the first year or so. Then I maintained it for about 2 years. The problems with it were several. I can not eat any kind of meat that is stringy or tough. I found that the only safe meat was hamburger and it had to be good quality hamburger, fresh and tender. I have not had steak, chicken, roast or pork in about 6 years. Once in a while I will try it and sometimes I am ok and sometimes it gets stuck going down. I started to gain most my weight back when I had my 3rd child. (YES YOU CAN HAVE A BABY AFTER VBG, FULL TERM) I figured all along that my weight gain back was my fault and that I just could not make the surgery (tool) work. However, I found out about 6 months ago that my staple line has started to break apart and the banding they put at the bottom of my stomach is almost closed. (banding is what has been giving me the problems with eating tough meat types) Now that the staples leak, the food I eat leaves my "new" stomach via the staple line and very little gets thru the banding now. I still have problems with some meats, but I find that I can eat lots of soup, mashed potatoes and other regular foods, as long as they are chewed well. I had absolutely no nutritional counceling and very little followup care with the VBG as well. With the RNY, you still have to eat your food and chew it well, but you also have to be extra cautious with the choices you make for what you eat. (dumping happens....very good side effect...) With the VBG you can/could eat ice cream all day long because it is soft/smooth and goes down easy with no side effects other than weight gain from choosing the wrong foods. I would be happy to talk more with you about the VBG if want, so please feel free to email me. I am currently waiting on insurance to approve a revision to my failed VBG. Good luck in your journey.
Most Active