Is it worth it?

soontobeme
on 2/17/09 2:40 pm, edited 2/17/09 2:44 pm
I have been approved for my surgery. I am now waiting on a date. I am scared and excited. I am a patient of Dr. Nease. I have some questions and need answers. Do you think the surgery was worth all you went through? Would you do it again? Does anyone have a vitamin D deficiency, and how did it affect you after the surgery? Are you more happier after the surgery? Please someone answer my questions. I am so scared and I am so excited. I really want this, and I want to make sure it will be worth it. I am looking to hearing from all of you!

Thank you,

Your new friend,

Tonia
bridgetann1961
on 2/18/09 12:17 am - Parkersburg, WV

Absofreakinloutly!!!!!!!   I started my journey at approx 425 and am now at 163 and life is amazing...I had no idea all that I was missing.  I would do it again in a heartbeat....I have had 0 (ZERO) complications and as far as I know I don't have any vitamin deficiencies.  After surgery the first two weeks were the toughest...but then again nothing that is truly worth anything is easy.  The biggest issue was psycological...Food was my best friend...I was sad about losing it.  But as the pounds came off my  new best friend was the local thrift stores...Thank God for them...I have turned over my closet about 6 times.  I did keep the dress I wore to the hospital and put it on every once in a while to remind myself of where I came from.  And as for the happiness...I radiate it I've never known bliss like this.  I take time every night to search for the perfect outfit to wear to work...It is soo much fun.  I love to have choices instead of picking out what looks the least ugly...Best of luck and God Bless.

soontobeme
on 2/18/09 11:50 pm
Thank you for your reply. You look great. I feel like you did. I pick out dark ugly clothes. I won't even buy new clothes because I feel so gross that I don't deserve anything good. I can't wait to feel like you do now.

Thank you and God Bless You!
conmarie
on 2/18/09 10:58 am - Yorkville, IL

Does your surgeon have special vitamins?  Mine do, they had them made for their patients.  I also saw something on line about a company that supplies Bariatric patients with food suppliments and vitamins.  Even though I don't have a date yet, I started the vitamins so that when I do have surgery hopefully, I won't have to many problems.

Hope this helps,

Connie

Conmarie

Diana Blackburn
on 2/18/09 2:59 pm
you know it is worth it!! We are going to look Fantastic!! I cannot wait. I know you have to work on the day of my surgery; however; you can come see me when you get off work!!!
Or you can come see me the next day before you go to work.
I hope and pray there are not complications and that all my hair will not fall out.
Like I said. I am glad you are doing this. We have more gals at work who is going to have it done as well and they will need our support too.
soontobeme
on 2/18/09 11:54 pm
You know if I was not in CRG training I would be there! I am coming down after work. That should give you time to wake up and I promise not to make you laugh. (So your belly won't hurt). I can't wait until we lose our weight and we strut our new bodies. I will pray for no complications for you and if our hair falls out we will get matching bandanas.

panhead58fl
on 2/19/09 2:55 am - Barboursville, WV
Tonia,
     For me, it is the best thing I ever did for myself. At my highest weight I was 375. My first visit with the surgeon I weighed 359 and the day of surgery I was 324. I was to the point where there were things I almost couldn't do for my self and I wondered if my wife loved me enough to do them for me. This morning I weighed 166. I have maintained this for over a year. The one thing I was told but maybe did not fully grasp was that I needed to make permenant life style changes. The surgery gives you the tool or the chance to take control and do just that. I now eat healthier than I ever have. I know a guy that had surgery and made changes but after a while went back to eating just like he use to and has gained back a lot of weight.

I walk every day and was running every day but now try to take a couple of days off from running every week. I never dreamed that I would like to run. There are so many things I can do now that I had no idea I was missing.

Like the ladies said it is great to walk into a store and know you will be able to find clothes if you want to buy them. I discovered clearance racks, when I wore a size 54 jeans and a XXXL shirt I was just happy to find something period. Now I know I can find a size 32 or 34 and a medium shirt at any store.

But the best thing is I really feel good about myself. I have confidence that I never had before. My advice is to follow the your surgeons instructions to the letter. For the first year if something was on the list not to eat or drink I didn't do it. I tried to make everything black or white. That seemed to work well for me.

Good Luck!

pan head
soontobeme
on 2/19/09 1:00 pm
Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I am not afraid to have the surgery, because I know it will better my life. What really made me realize I needed to change my life, was I was at the flea market with my granddaugter and her mom. I can keep up with her, no problem. That day I could barely walk, my hip killed me. My grandchild got further and further away from me and if her mom was not there, someone could have grabbed her. If really made me open my eyes and see that unless I made a change, my life would get further and furher away from me until I would lose it.

Thank you,

God Bless you my friend
Cira S.
on 2/20/09 9:05 pm - Charles Town , WV
Welcome & Congratulations on your approval! 

The feelings and thoughts that you are having is totally normal.  Having fear of the unknown. It plagued my mind for a few times where I thought I was going to back out at one point.  Then I sat down and thought about all the pros and cons.. The pros outweighed the cons by far and I chose to go for it.  

Was it worth it?  Oh my God ABSOLUTELY!  I never thought that I can feel this great. My diabetes is resolved, my sleep apnea is gone. I have arthritis where I could barely function withought meds around the clock and I barely take any now.  I take some tylenol sometimes for aches here and there.  I can move around and keep the joints flowing with movement and I feel great.  If I had to do this surgery again I would do it in a hreatbeat!  

I had low vitamin D when I had surgery and my surgeon suggested I take a vitamin D over the counter daily and since 6 months post op the level has been normal.  One thing you havbe to know is that you are commiting forever to take your supplements forever religiously.  No If's and no Buts! If you follow your surgeons exact plan you will do fantastic.  I walked around with my surgeons binder with all of the do's and don'ts until I knew it by heart! 

My highest weight was 267 size 20 to 22 pants X Large tops at one point I am only 5'3" and when I went for sugery I was 249. I will be 2 years post op on 03-06-09 and I have reached my dr's goal and surpassed that.  I now weigh 144 pounds size 6 or 8 in pants and small & med tops depending of the cut.  I can now enjoy playing with my children and grandchildren. I can exercise without thinking I am going to die because I am out of breath and in excruciating pain. I can honestly say that I am so happy that I chose to do this for me. My ONLY regret is that I did NOTdo this a few years before when I first started researching weight loss surgery.

You are going to do great!  We are all here for you and if you ever want to talk just send me a message.

Remember one thing the first month after surgery you will sit there and probably have buyer's remorse (I know I did) but once you are all healed and doing great you will completely change your tune quickly!   This is major surgery and it takes time adjusting to everything that is new to you.

God Bless!

Here is my before and after... I am wearing a Elvira Halloween Costume.

beforeafter-1.jpg picture by negra266

I am who I am and accept my feelings wholeheartedly.
Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Cira 249/144.0 current/goal 154/ 5'3" 10 lbs below my Dr's goal
100Cira-1.jpg picture by negra266

soontobeme
on 2/22/09 1:06 pm
Thank you for the advise and your support. I hope you understand I will most likely ask you a million questions right before and after the surgery! I am really excited about this. Today I was looking and it takes 2 of the weekly pill reminders for my meds. I will be glad to trade them for vitamins! Did you have the bypass or the lapband? How long did the pain last? How much weight did you lose in the first month? Any advise you can give me I will deeply appreciate it!
Most Active
Recent Topics
WLS in WV?
rakat · 0 replies · 2003 views
Wv coventry care requirments
Sunfish6406 · 0 replies · 4710 views
Coventry Cares WV Medicaid
AKD40 · 9 replies · 6312 views
Bcbs highmark of wv?
conandjaysmom · 0 replies · 5638 views