B-12 ....what happens if you don't take it?

readytostartnew
on 2/23/09 4:49 am - berkeley springs, WV
Hello,

First off, I've been a member for awhile so I know how some will bash others, please don't do this to me, I'm very sensitive.
On a daily basis I take iron because I was anemic, but for the last month I haven't taken my B-12 pills because I started a new job and forget about them all the time.  I was wondering what the effects will be, and is iron the same as B-12...yeah I'm pretty dumb about all this.  My doctor is three hours away and I really don't want to travel that far if I do'nt have to.  My surgery was aug 20th 2008 and I've lost 80 pounds, not much but better than nothing.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Lisa
Cira S.
on 2/23/09 11:18 am - Charles Town , WV
Hi Lisa,

No need to worry hon I won't be judging you or treating you mean. I am glad you came here and posted your question.

First off let me congratulation you on the awesome weight loss. You are doing wonderful!! 
I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with anemia. One thing you must do is start taking your B-12 immediately and consistantly.  Iron and B-12 are not the same thing.  If you don't take B-12 supplements and your body is deprived of it it can be detrimental to your health.  For example.. being deficient in B-12 will cause anemia however in serious cases deficiency can potentially cause severe and irreversible damage to the nervous system. Common early symptoms are tiredness or a decreased mental work capacity, decreased concentration and decreased memory, irritability and depression and sleep disturbances may occur.

So please please take your daily b-12 supplements.  You should have your blood work done periodically to check if you are at level.  My doctor gives me a prescription and I take my B-12 in the form of a shot 1 time a month and it is so much easier for.  It also absorbs a lot better.

Now stop putting yourself down sweetie. You are not dumb just not well imformed and by asking questions you will learn. If there is anything I can do for you please do not hesitate to message me.

Best of luck on your journey and please take very good care of yourself.

Cira

I am who I am and accept my feelings wholeheartedly.
Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Cira 249/144.0 current/goal 154/ 5'3" 10 lbs below my Dr's goal
100Cira-1.jpg picture by negra266

readytostartnew
on 2/23/09 7:47 pm - berkeley springs, WV
Thanks so much Cira.  I had no idea all that could happen, wow.  I'm going to talk to my local doctor and see if she can start giving me the shot instead of trying to take pills everyday. 
You were a great help.
Thanks Again
Lisa
Cira S.
on 2/24/09 5:10 am - Charles Town , WV
You are very welcome Lisa.
With RNY patints taking the sublingual b-12 absorbs better and the shots well the best absorption.  I give my own shot each month so there is no co pays going to the doctor to get the shots.

Take care and feel free to contact me anytime.

I am who I am and accept my feelings wholeheartedly.
Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Cira 249/144.0 current/goal 154/ 5'3" 10 lbs below my Dr's goal
100Cira-1.jpg picture by negra266

Most Active
Recent Topics
WLS in WV?
rakat · 0 replies · 2004 views
Wv coventry care requirments
Sunfish6406 · 0 replies · 4710 views
Coventry Cares WV Medicaid
AKD40 · 9 replies · 6312 views
Bcbs highmark of wv?
conandjaysmom · 0 replies · 5638 views