A long vent

Julie_L
on 2/28/09 2:57 pm
So from day one I was told that my insurance company is GREAT at approving the Realize Band.  That once they got the information from the surgeon I would have an answer within 24-48 hours.  They even assigned me a case manager to help me step by step to make sure that everything was perfect when the surgeon did finally ask for approval.  I was so happy, everyone else says that the insurance part is the worst and mine is good.  I had no idea that it would be my surgeons office that was going to cause the delays. 
My first appointment was scheduled in no time (but they did NOTHING except to make me a second appoinment).  At the second appointment they went over what I would need to do as far as nutritionist and the mental exam.  The people they work with took forever to get in with so I found my own people to go to.  The last thing I had to do was meet with the surgeon.  The surgeon I was supposed to see didn't have an appointment for 2 months so they gave me another doctor.  Then the day before the appointment it was cancelled and he didn't have another for 6 weeks so I got yet another surgeon.  I actually got to meet this one, I was starting to think it would never happen.  Now I have to wait a week for him to have his notes transcribed then a week for the staff to send it in to the insurance company.  2 weeks for that, are they joking.  Each day I wait for approval the further away my date will be.  I am getting really frustrated.
Don't get me wrong I know a lot of people have to go through a lot more and I am grateful that I didn't have to jump through hoops but I feel like they just don't get that they could at least act like they are trying to move faster.
Thanks for letting me vent.
WVpaob
on 3/1/09 5:53 am
Julie - I'm so sorry you're going through all this.  I'm sure it is so very frustrating.  What city is this in?  Have you spoken with other patients there?  I know we all want the wheels of progress to move faster but it surely does sound extreme to have to wait two weeks for the papers to be forwarded on to the insurance company.  Keep us posted, Julie!  Best of luck - Pat

WVpaob
on 3/1/09 6:11 am
Julie - one other question ... what made you choose the Realize band over the Lap-Band?  Or was it the surgeon's choice?  My doctor says he does not have a preference so I'm still undecided.  Thanks - Pat
Julie_L
on 3/1/09 11:35 am
Thank you all.  I know it won't last forever, it's just so frustrating!

Pat,
My doctor stopped doing Lap Band and only does Realize so the choice was made for me.  They claim that it is easier on the body but who knows.  Everything I have read says that they are about the same.  I do like the online resources that Realize has.

Julie
julie16
on 3/1/09 7:39 am - crofton, MD
Julie, I hope things work out for you . Stay calm and pray and ask for prayers. I think praying works. You just need patience and things will work out for you I am sure. Keep me posted you cam PM me anytime..   Julie
Cira S.
on 3/1/09 9:24 am - Charles Town , WV
Hi Julie,

I knpow how frustrating it can be when we want our surgery done like yesterday. Most of us go through some hurdles like this or different. But try to stay focused and relax. I know easier said than done. But know that you are very close to becoming a loser and all of the headaches will just be a distant memory soon. 

Wishing you all the best and I hope you get your approval soon.  You can vent here anytime!  That is what we are all here for... to support you....

I am who I am and accept my feelings wholeheartedly.
Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Cira 249/144.0 current/goal 154/ 5'3" 10 lbs below my Dr's goal
100Cira-1.jpg picture by negra266

Julie_L
on 3/1/09 11:36 am
Thank you all again!
Robert T.
on 3/8/09 6:15 am, edited 3/8/09 6:21 am - Terra Alta, WV
I am too so frustrated with WV Medicaid they just keep wanting more, and more. Seems like my surgery will never happy, but now they are saying sometime in October.  It's not my doctor, it's the State of WV. I refuse to give up, and keep pushing toward what they want, I need 6 more months of dieting on a 2nd diet for the state. Sometimes, it's hard but I am doing it. Good Luck to you. I know it will happen for the both of us. I just sometimes want things faster then they can happen.

Rob

Julie_L
on 3/9/09 9:22 am
Don't give up!!!!!!!!  It will come through, after all my mess I found out that my plan doesn't even require pre approval, I could have done this 3 months ago.  Your time will come, I promise.

What would you attempt,if you knew you could not fail?

Robert T.
on 3/9/09 11:22 am - Terra Alta, WV
thank you so very much, what insurance did you have if I might ask? I have WV Medicaid TR the best they have, but seem to have to keep doing things.
Most Active
Recent Topics
WLS in WV?
rakat · 0 replies · 2004 views
Wv coventry care requirments
Sunfish6406 · 0 replies · 4710 views
Coventry Cares WV Medicaid
AKD40 · 9 replies · 6312 views
Bcbs highmark of wv?
conandjaysmom · 0 replies · 5638 views