Protien drinks

spurrell1964
on 9/11/13 4:31 pm - Turner Valley, Canada

Waves to all. . . I am going to ask all what type of protein drink they used before surgery. 

I have been told Ensure is a good one to use. Please post me others if you enjoyed them.

Thanks Lori

Kelly-AnneH
on 9/12/13 1:17 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I know I'm swimming against the current, but I don't consider Ensure to be a protein drink at all. A high sugar, moderate protein meal replacement, yes. 225 calories is way too much to "pay" for 12 grams of protein, especially after surgery, when calories are so limited, but protein needs are still high.

A very popular protein RTD shake is the Premier ones from Costco, with 30g protein for 160 calories. They're also modest in price at $25 for 18.

My favourite RTD protein drink is GNC's Total Lean shake in Strawberry, with 25g protein for 170 calories. I actually enjoy them, which is saying a lot. They aren't especially cheap, but I watch for sales, and figure that with the rest of my grocery budget cut so much I can afford to splash out on a RTD that I actually enjoy.

If you're good with using powders, my favourites are the vanilla, strawberry and chocolate Syntrax Trophix ones, which mix easily without lumps (without a blender!) and even taste good if mixed with water - most powders are pretty awful when mixed with jus****er. We travel a lot and I carry my own single servings that contain a scoop of 1 of the 3 plus a scoop of skim milk. It's so easy to buy a bottle of water, drink a bit to make space, then add my premade shake serving, shake hard and drink. (29g protein, 190 calories and tastes pretty decent)

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

spurrell1964
on 9/13/13 1:28 pm - Turner Valley, Canada

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the post back. I checked out GNC's site and located the product you recommend !!

Thank you

Greatly appreciated

Lori

Scribbles
on 9/12/13 11:35 am - Canada
VSG on 12/05/13

My favourite is Oh Yeah RTD that you can get from GNC. 220 cals for 32g of protein.  They come in Strawberries and cream, vanilla, chocolate, banana and cookies and cream flavours.  It states on the bottle that it can be used as a meal replacement a well. I've used Premier Protein from Costco, but I wasn't a fan of the flavour. I also like Pure Protein that you can get at Walmart or Target in vanilla or chocolate. They're about $11 for 4 cans. 

Kelly-AnneH
on 9/12/13 12:53 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'll look for the Oh Yeah RTD next time I'm at GNC. Thanks for the recommendation!

Kelly-Anne

spurrell1964
on 9/13/13 1:32 pm - Turner Valley, Canada

spurrell1964
on 9/13/13 1:33 pm - Turner Valley, Canada

Metamorphosis1
on 9/13/13 12:47 pm
Kelly-Anne sounds much more well informed and knowledgable than me. Thanks for the GREAT information! This will help me make a more informed choice for protein drinks.

Oddly enough, the Weight Management Clinic in Calgary prescribes 5 Ensures per day (no other food) for 2-4 weeks pre-surgery. They used to use Optifast but switched to Ensure HP in the last year or two. I'm not sure the reasoning if there are other shakes with more protein and less calories.....which is exactly what we need!!
Kelly-AnneH
on 9/15/13 1:14 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Ensure is a meal replacement, not a protein supplement, so appropriate when no other food is consumed. After surgery your protein needs are higher and you'll be able to eat other things - just not nearly enough volume to fulfill your protein needs.

If you're looking for a high protein meal replacement for after surgery (protein drink with vitamins added) buy yourself some Premier shakes from Costco. They don't taste nearly as good as the Total Lean ones, but would provide some vitamins as well as the 30g of protein in 160 calories.

Metamorphosis1
on 9/15/13 9:54 am

Thanks Kelly-Anne!  I am going to go to Costco and/or GNC and check out the options that you suggested.  It makes it a lot easier to get your protein amounts in if you are consuming these other options! :)     

Best wishes.  

krista

Most Active