flintstones vitamins

Lacy H.
on 5/13/08 5:06 am - Farmington, MI
 Ok, just a curious soul here.... Why would countless nutritionists, and countless surgeons (highly qualified and experienced ones might I add) encourage us to take two flintstone vitamins daily if in fact they aren't good enough for us? I've noticed quite a few people saying flintstones vitamins won't do the trick...
Susan S.
on 5/13/08 5:11 am - Roselle, NJ
They're fine - I take quite a few more supplements in addition to them based on serological evidence that I need other supplementation - but they are my general vitamin. I doubt they are sufficient by themselves for a postop - but they compare favorably to other multi-vitamins......Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

txgirl26
on 5/13/08 5:11 am - fort worth, TX
Thanks for posting this. I've never heard flintstones were not okay and I've been taking them since surgery. If they in fact are not good enough I need to know asap. I'm trying to stay on top of the game but hearing this kinda scares me. I look forward to seeing others responses. My surgeon had flintstones as a good source of multi vitamin so I thought everything was fine.
KLTTX
on 5/13/08 5:14 am - DFW, TX
I specifically asked my doctor if I could take Flinstones and he said that it was not sufficient.  Its just another one of those things that doctors disagree on.

10 cc band - 2/27 - 4 cc; 4/10 - 1.5 cc; 5/21 - 2 cc; 11/19 - 1 cc; 7/8 - .5 cc  = 9 cc total

Cindy N.
on 5/13/08 5:18 am
My doctor at Duke University said 2 Flintstones a day were good.  But he said if your pre menopausal, you should take an iron supplement with that and of course Calcium Citrate. Our Nut said that we might also like to take B-12, but that was totally up to us and Biotin for our hair and nails. So, I take them all.  I just saw my PCP yesterday and he did a full blood workup on me and said everything looked good and he'll see me back in 6 weeks.  As long as he is watching over me, I won't worry with it.
SCushway
on 5/13/08 5:27 am - Daphne, AL
My surgeon told me to take two "chewable" vitamins a day and that Flinstones were the most commonly used.  That's what I am using and my labs always come back just fine. Sandi

Dena W.
on 5/13/08 5:29 am - Tarpon Springs, FL
My surgeon doesn't recommend Flintstones.  I think it's a personal preference, and it's one of those things that changes frequently.  I take Bariatric Advantage chewables, and my surgeon says if I want to change to a different one that's okay, just read the labels and see how they compare.  He doesn't really care which particular one his patients take as long as they're getting the best they can get. 
                                                 Dena
See my YouTube vlogs here:  http://www.youtube.com/user/LiLtinee
Add me as a friend on Facebook:    Dena Waskiewicz               
Starting weight:  297 / Goal weight:  140's / Current weight:  138-143
Lap RNY 3/12/2007 ~ Fleur-de-Lis tummy tuck 7/12/2010

moosemom
on 5/13/08 5:33 am, edited 5/13/08 5:35 am - Wylie, TX
There are so many different opions on which ones are better then others. I chose to go with what my dr (done WLS for over 20 yrs) and my nut recoment which is 2 flinstones everyday, with b12, calcum citraite and iron everyday. Also due the malablsortion I take additiona vitamins (A, B1, elysine) So follow what your nut/dr program and as long as you labs come back good, then its working. Here is the amounts from both vitamins so you can compare them.   edited as it would show up correctly. here is the website for values/amounts  http://www.centrumvitamins.ca/content/products/centrumSelect Chewables.asp http://www.flintstonesvitamins.com/complete/index.html#suppl ement

Philosophy of life "Treat others like you wish to be Treated" 
              Only you can make yourself happy!!!

Cynthia L.
on 5/13/08 5:51 am - Clarence, NY

Some surgeons also tell you that it's okay to drink pop, too.   I guess you should compare and contrast the ingredients in several and then ask yourself which you'd rather take.

--------- 

Bariatric Advantage (this is for two tablets, which is what is recommended)

Vitamin A (from Beta Carotene) 7500 IU
Vitamin C 120 mg
Vitamin D3 200 IU
Vitamin E (as d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate) 30 IU
Vitamin B1 (from Thiamine Mononitrate) 6 mg
Vitamin B2 (as Riboflavin) 3.4 mg
Niacinamide 50 mg
Vitamin B6 (from Pyridoxine HCI) 4 mg
Folic Acid 800 mcg
Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 100 mcg
Biotin USP/FCC 300 mcg
Pantothenic Acid (from Calcium D-Pantothenate) 10 mg
Calcium (from Calcium Citrate) 200 mg
Magnesium (from Magnesium Citrate) 50 mg
Zinc (from Zinc Citrate) 15 mg
Selenium (from L-Selenomethionine) 100 mcg
Copper (from Copper Citrate) 1 mg
Manganese (from Manganese Sulfate) 2 mg
Chromium (Chromium Picolinate NF) 100 mcg
Molybdenum (Sodium Molybdate) 75 mcg
Choline (Choline Bitartrate FCC) 2.03 mg
Citrus Fruit Peel Bioflavonoids 12.52 mg
Inositol USP/FCC 5 mg
Vanadium (from Vanadium Citrate) 25 mcg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flintstone Chewable (2 are recommended)

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size:1 Tablet
Servings Per Container:100
Amount per Serving% Daily Value for Children 2-3 Years of Age
Vitamin A  2500 IU100%
Vitamin C  60 mg150%
Vitamin D  400 IU100%
Vitamin E  15 IU150%
Thiamin (B1)  1.05 mg150%
Riboflavin (B2)  1.2 mg150%
Niacin (B3)  13.5 mg150%
Vitamin B6  1.05 mg150%
Folate,Folic Acid,Folacin  300 mcg150%
Vitamin B12  4.5 mcg150%

----------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Bariatric Fusion (per tablet ) I'm chosing these, taking 4 right out of surgery, then down to 2 as my nutrition improves

orange facts

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

plusizedbarbie
on 5/13/08 6:55 am - Manahawkin, NJ
Flintstone vitamins are CHILDRENS vitamins, not post bariatric, intestinally re routed children's vitamins.  I have no idea why a good surgeon would tell u to take flintstones, but the FIRST thing my surgeon told me was not to take them and to take a bariatric vitamin, and I take that 4 times a day.  so clearly flintstones 2 times a day is NOT sufficent
MY WLS RECIPE BLOG!  -- Check it out http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (vbmr)    Lilypie - (fb9N)

Changed for good
                            ...september 17, 2007...

Most Active