Why the Scale Obsession?

Elizabeth N.
on 8/9/11 2:42 am - Burlington County, NJ
That's a good way to do it. I go by the fit of my jeans.

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 3:50 am
Scales do LIE!

But, with that said, I'm a daily weigher.. I also measure every 2-4 weeks.. I go up and down all the time, I hold water like a sponge.. My weight loss pattern has been a series of downs, holds, gains, holds, down.. BUT, I don't let it bug me. I stay on my plan without fail and jus****ch what my body is doing.

I guess I weigh daily for several reasons. It is an obsession, but for me- it's a healthy one.

One- I know me, and I got back to this point by effectively ignoring the fact that I had a scale, and ignoring my clothing getting tighter. I was in serious denial until I started to really regain, then I got depressed and pulled the always healthy I don't give a fuck attitude (there were other things going on, but that one was a biggie). During this time I never weighed myself, so I never had that number shock that I would/should have had..

Two, I want to see how certain things effect my body.. fluids, salt, foods, activities.. I log everything as I'm in the middle of the losing stage again, and the daily weigh is just part of that. It's another piece of the equation I'm tracking.. But, if it gets to the point of really ******g me off- I'd stop for a while. So far it's only been a mild annoyance when I'm holding steady for too long.

And last, I want to make this a life-long habit. When I call goal - and it may not be the number on my ticker, but when I or more likely my body calls it done- I want to weigh daily because I need to be accountable to staying within a healthy weight range for hopefully the rest of my life.. I regained everything once (and lots of smaller losses many, many times), I really don't want to put myself through that again. If I track my weight and see I have a blip of 7lbs that isn't going away, I know to look at what I'm doing and make corrections. I can so easily get caught up in stressful events and put myself last on the care sheet, I can ignore a snug pair of jeans- I need a concrete number, something outside of myself to keep me from making this mistake again.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/9/11 5:12 am
I'll admit, I weigh myself every day.

BUT....

I don't have unrealistic expectations, I don't freak out if my weight fluctuates by a few pounds, and I don't throw a fit if my weight doesn't go down every day. I fully expect that the typical quivering of the weight needle is a normal thing. Going up pound or two is nothing, that's probably water or poop I haven't crapped out yet. And while I'm curious to know how my weight is doing, I don't hop on the scale every hour to see if I've lost four ounces (that's a weeeeeee bit obesssive).

Do I get a little anxious when my weight seems to hang in one spot for over a couple weeks? Maybe a little, but I don't freak out and post here wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I just chill, grab a protein shake, and go about my biz.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Elizabeth N.
on 8/9/11 6:31 am - Burlington County, NJ
There ya go :-).

curious3069
on 8/10/11 11:16 pm - Newton, IL
You know, I keep reading these posts thinking "I weigh daily, so what, I like to see the number going down and I won't freak out if it doesn't.  I know all about stalls so it's ok"    It's sooo easy to think that when you are early out and the pounds keep dropping off.       Ha...ha ha ha!   It's no wonder long-timers laugh when early-outs make grand proclimations about what they will or will not do, because after my first week with no weight loss since surgery, I'm officially insane!!!    I can't stay away from it and weigh all the ******g time, which is ridiculous!!!

My scale is officially going to my mom's house to live for awhile...

Ok, I feel better now, though I might still visit the spot in the bathroom where the scale used to live.  

mmendoza
on 8/10/11 11:37 pm - San Antonio, TX
That is so funny. I think I will give up my scale for a while too. I can't see the scale without getting on it. LOL.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/11/11 1:24 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, time to divorce that jerk! Good for you.

girlygirl1313
on 8/10/11 11:41 pm - Davidson, NC
 Usually I'm not that bad, but lately I have been a scale ***** cause I'm less than a half pound to freaking onederland but my body refuses to cross over.  It's ******g me off.  Piss **** Pissy!

~GG

Elizabeth N.
on 8/11/11 1:29 am - Burlington County, NJ
Okay, I'll give you a hall pass until the number 199 appears :-). That's a time for a special exception.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1411 views