Dumping: To puke, or not to puke?

nicoleista
on 3/13/12 1:53 am - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
Last night i did a really stupid thing...I took a Tylenol, thyroid medication and antidepressants all in the same hour, with out thinking about it because they have all gone down fine taking individually, in the past. I take that back, this was the first time I took Tylenol which was for horrible back pain (related to sitting so much after surgery 8 days ago). I have never felt so sick in my life! All the symptoms of dumping syndrome. In this type of situation, should you try to make your self vomit? I tried but nothing would come up!

What can you do when this happens? Is there Any Thing that helps?? Drink water, not drink water? Heat pack on the stomach, shower? Any thing!!

It was really kind of scary how sick I felt even after taking anti-nasuea meds....

MyLady Heidi
on 3/13/12 1:56 am
Which symptoms did you have?  Dumping is typically a result of sugar going into the blood stream too quickly and the not so pleasant results, happens for some people with fats also.  I am not sure what sort of dumping you would get from taking pills?
nicoleista
on 3/15/12 1:48 pm - MI
VSG on 03/05/12

Just an FYI:

Definition:
By Mayo Clinic staff

Dumping syndrome is a group of symptoms most likely to develop if you've had surgery to remove all or part of your stomach, or if your stomach has been surgically bypassed to help lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when the undigested contents of your stomach are transported or "dumped" into your small intestine too rapidly. Common symptoms include abdominal cramps and nausea.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dumping-syndrome/DS00715

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/12 5:02 am
 Dumping is horrible no matter what  .   hope U feel better soon !   Mixing meds .. yikes 
I wouldn't puke though ..  unless I  couldn't help it ...  have heard about too many quasi-buimics in here ... 
nicoleista
on 3/15/12 1:41 pm - MI
VSG on 03/05/12

Quasi-bulimics? Not sure that is the most supportive thing I've ever heard but thank you for your other encouraging words! I appreciate that.

ProshopperLinda
on 3/15/12 5:00 pm - PA
On March 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM Pacific Time, Something Else wrote:
 Dumping is horrible no matter what  .   hope U feel better soon !   Mixing meds .. yikes 
I wouldn't puke though ..  unless I  couldn't help it ...  have heard about too many quasi-buimics in here ... 
 I'm not a quasi-bulimic...but when I feel sick and am sliming - relieving myself of that food is the fastest way to get over the problem. Before this surgery I could NOT have thrown up to save my life! Why should I suffer over an hour if I can learn from the experience and not do it again? After the surgery I can now get rid of the problem while I learn to chew - chew -chew!    Linda
Jackie McGee
on 3/13/12 11:24 am - PA
That wasn't dumping - that was just too much going into your system at once.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

nicoleista
on 3/15/12 1:50 pm - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
Just an FYI to help clarify what dumping syndrome is:

Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff

Dumping syndrome is a group of symptoms most likely to develop if you've had surgery to remove all or part of your stomach, or if your stomach has been surgically bypassed to help lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when the undigested contents of your stomach are transported or "dumped" into your small intestine too rapidly. Common symptoms include abdominal cramps and nausea.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dumping-syndrome/DS00715

Jackie McGee
on 3/16/12 12:41 am - PA
I didn't need a clarification. I've been living the post-RNY lift for 3+ years and I have experienced it, along with reactive hypoglycemia and other side-effects of the surgery.

I do know that when I overeat and throw up that I am not dumping - I am eating too much and getting rid of the excess food so I feel better - not the healthiest thing to do, but it's become a part of my life and it's caused by something physically wrong (that I will be seeking further treatment for post-pregnancy) and also by emotions I experienced prior to WLS regarding food.

Likewise, I also know that when I eat a bowl of cereal with full fat milk/pasta/too much ice cream/cappuccino with real sugar, etc. and throw up, have diarrhea, sweat like a pig and feel like I'm dying that  I am dumping.

Please educate those who need it. I may or may not share this link ;)

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

nicoleista
on 3/13/12 11:42 am - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
I understand that it is not formally dumping syndrome, but the symptoms are the same. My question is, what are some things that can be done to help in that type of situation? it was awful, and I want to be prepared if it happens again.

Most Active
Lap Band Revision
Marybelleolson · 0 replies · 520 views
Surgeon references
Marybelleolson · 0 replies · 43 views