That I am failing.

dream_small
on 9/23/06 12:10 am - Allentown, PA
I had my surgery back in... *trying to remember*... February of 2001. Lap RNY. Just a quick overview. I started at 285 lbs and I stopped losing weight completely at 5 months out at about 210 lbs. Lost down to 170 by taking ephedra(not banned at that time), exercising excessively and becoming somewhat of a bulemic. I wouldn't binge and purge but I would just eat something I knew would make me sick(like a slice of poorly chewed roast beef) then I would throw up and feel to sick to eat for most of the day. I realized I had a problem when I seen that all the blood vessels under my eyes were broken from throwing up. Then ephedra was banned... say what you want about it but I loved that stuff. It gave me energy and made me want to drink lots of water and I felt so positive with it. I never had the shakes or anything that some people reportedly had but then again I never took the full daily dose just the full dose in the morning and one in the afternoon. I still believe that the deaths from ephedra were people who had existing health issues or people who ... ummm...abused it and took more than recommended. Anyway... Once I went back to "normal" life I gained weight backed to about 200 and then 210. Eventually I went up to about 232 lbs. I started heavy duty exercising and dieting... nothing changed. Then I tried switching to exercising and not eating much at all... and I got back down to 210... did I mention I was taking ephedrine again but it was not as effective as the original ephedra. I went back to eating about 6 months ago... not unhealthy though I do have my super carb days(PMS-ing) and here I am back at 230. I walk every morning for 5 miles and I do that in just a few minutes over an hour(so I am doing nearly 5 MPH). My calorie intake is only about 900-1000 a day... and I am still gaining. When I was dieting I actually had to eat less than 700 calories a day to lose anything at all... my walk each morning burns anywhere from 600-800 calories depending on which calorie calculator I use. So now I am terrified that my weight will keep going up if I don't cut WAAAAY back on calories but I really can't live on less than 700 calories a day and feel good. I just wanted to vent a bit and I thank you for taking the time to read this. My doctor(not surgeon) has looked over my food diary and all that I am doing. He told me that it really seems that my body is extremely efficient and has actually adjusted itself to the exercise and low calorie lifestyle. It is not my thyroid as I already take a large dose (350mcg) of synthroid daily for my hypothyroidism. Lucky me... I turn out to be the type of car I wish I had... lots of mileage on just a little gas when I'd really like to be a gas guzzler. Thanks all, Debbie
Laurie's Getnsexy!
on 9/23/06 3:28 am - NW, PA
Hi Debbie, I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I wish I had the right words to make things right. I feel for you and really hope that someone is able to help you get back in the right direction. Do they think the surgery failed initially and that they should be doing a revision??? I might have taken that route...especially if you were anticipating a larger loss then you experienced... Good Luck!!!! Laurie
toroauntie
on 9/23/06 5:24 pm - Redondo Beach, CA
Debbie, I am sorry for what you are going through but no words can really make you feel better. I know you have seen your regular doc but have you been following up with your surgeon every year? If not you should make an appointment and get back to your program. Perhaps his dietician can help you with a plan. Your regular doc probably doesn't really understand your bodies needs. We can become very efficient. The beyond change newpaper has recently had info on how our fat cells respond after surgery. You might look up there site and see if the articles are available on line. I wish you the best, and please be careful with the ephedrine. Take care, Robin
atclark
on 9/28/06 6:36 am - Berry, AL
Have you been tested for Cushings Syndrome. I just read an article about a woman who gained weight no matter what she did. A doctor finally diagnosed her with Cushings. This is when you produce too much cortisol. Just a thought to check into.
Elizabeth N.
on 9/29/06 6:36 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Hi Debbie. Wow, that's a tough row you've been trying to hoe! I'm wondering if you might be someone who would benefit from some kind of revision, to a type of procedure that has higher malabsorption. There are quite a few people who have revised from RNY to duodenal switch because of problems like yours. You can get more information about this procedure, plus there's a very supportive forum, at www.duodenalswitch.com . Are you in any kind of therapy to work on your eating issues? It sounds like you have quite a complex bunch of stuff going on, and I know I'd be a wreck if I were trying to deal with all that stuff and still seeing my weight creeping up after all you've been through! {{{{hugs to you}}}}}
dream_small
on 10/1/06 4:12 am - Allentown, PA
Thanks to everyone *****plied to me, I feel better knowing that someone understands where I am coming from. There is no way I could get a revision done because my insurance has changed and they don't cover weight loss surgery for anyone no matter what the cir****tances. I also don't really want to mess with my body any more than I have already... I just feel in my heart that I am the one at fault for this because I am not doing the right things. I have not seen my surgeon since 6 months post-op because he really wasn't doing it that way back then. He had no pre-op information and no post-op program at all. Nothing about what I needed to do or eat. I was home from the hospital within 24 hours after surgery and basically told to stick to liquids for 3 days and then I was told I could eat anything I wanted except red meat and I was to chew really well and take a Flintstone daily. I was allowed red meat 6 weeks later. I most likely will not not seeing him again any time soon. I just wanted you all to know that I really appreciate the time you took to let me know that someone cares. Thank you so much and hugs to you all!! Debbie
Jennifer J.
on 10/2/06 10:50 pm
Do not cut back on your calories. This will just make your body go into starvation mode. Increase your protein and veggies and avoid as best you can items with sugar and 'the whites' (rice, bread, potatoes) Imagine your body eating away at itself but if you give it to much sugar or starch it will spend its time burning that and not what is already attached to you. I apologize if i am telling you stuff you already know but sometimes we need a reality check from ourselves. Have you read the 'Pouch Rules for Dummies'?? No offense!! LOL It tells you if you get to a place where you have gained weight to go back to the original rules. No liquids an hour before or after meals.....protein, protein, protein...etc..etc... Just google it to read over and get yourself back on track. Also with all the exercise you are probably all muscle so don't be so hard on yourself if the scale # is not what you like. All the best and let me know if things turn around for you. Jennifer
dream_small
on 10/9/06 6:57 am - Allentown, PA
I take no offense at anyone's help because I really am looking to get my act together. I really don't do too many starchy things... never rice or any pasta or noodle because I throw those up immediately... except for right before my period then I crave rice cakes, crackers and Smoothies Skittles. I do my best to behave. I have been trying to work in some extra protien because I do feel better when I get more in. It doesn't help that I have been feeling so "what's the sense in it" because I feel very hopeless. Most days I don't even care about my weight, I figure "why bother?". I'm just so tired from throwing up so much... I throw up because I can't chew any food properly due to the fact that since my surgery I have lost most of my teeth due to them becoming abscessed and be not being able to afford the root canals or the replacement of the missing teeth. I have bouts of hypoglycemia (confirmed by my doctor). I also suffer several times a week with bouts of something that sends me to the bathroom with nausea, sweating, throwing up,heart palpitations, intense abdominal pain and noise(like rushing water) and I swear.... this is going to be gross... a bowel movement that seems to be WAY more that I took in. I get so sick in there that I cry like a big ole' baby. It always happens in the morning within an hour or two of waking up. I've kept a record of it for my doctor and so far there is no common factor in these bouts and they are quite random. I had IBS symptoms before my surgery but this is a thousand times worse than those. Anyway... thanks for the encouragement and help, I guess I just have to put my mind to it before I end up back where I started. Hugs to all!! Debbie
jgrove
on 1/5/07 12:29 am - Pueblo, CO
Don't know that i can be of any help but I can sympathize. I am 2 years and some months out . i never got much below that 100 lb. wt. loss (and I needed 150)-that with strenuous exercise, kickboxing etc. and now I am struggling. Have gained a few pounds and trying to " starve" again. I know I have gone back to some bad habits, yet i can't help looking at others who had such an easy time and didn't even have to exercise or anything. I know everyone is different but that doesn't always help. I also am in a position where I could never afford any other surgery especially the plastic surgery i would want so badly. When you don't have enough $ it's hard to eat right too. Fortunately I don't have all these terrible problems you have with feeling bad and your teeth and all-I am so sorry you do. Although truthfully I have to confess I have wished on occasion something would make me throw up. I shouldn't say these things as a support group leader but today I am just a regular guy scared to get really fat again. I remain happy to have lost 100 lbs. and will be happy even if i remain at that weight, though I yearn for that skinnier body, but I absolutely pray I do not fail completely. I had a a whole lot of wonderful teaching but no one knows till they get down the road how scary and hard things can sometimes be. Support group does help in a lot of ways but sometimes seeing everyone else continue to lose is hard too. We must hang in and follow the advice we were given but I'm sending you a silent little prayer from me to you also. Good luck to us! JoAnn
ramwelch
on 11/9/06 9:44 am - somewhere, CT
Have you tried weight training?? I have read many places including info from my doctor that lifting weights is as important for fat loss as aerobic. Might be worth looking into.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8485 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11026 views