Aspartame

SoniaB
on 1/24/07 3:51 pm - Windsor, Canada
Does any one have any feed back on aspartame post-op? I get headaches with it now and get sick if I take in too much and I am worried this will be a big problem post-op.
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/07 2:56 am - MD
Hi, I am recently seeing a neurologist for frequent HA and migraines and was told to stay away fron crystal light because of that ingredient...well I drink quite abit of it but my Dr. said that is causes the headaches so it's a no go one that one for me.
SoniaB
on 2/20/07 6:14 pm - Windsor, Canada
So sorry I haven't replied I couldnt find the forum?!  You know even Splenda in Crystal Lite does the same thing for me...but sucralose doesn't. For example in Jell-o products it is a chemical and I can't take more than 1 a week of any kind of sugar substitute, unless it is in a protein powder or specific WLS food supplement.
Rudie2
on 2/21/07 5:12 am - South Sound, WA
Interesting topic. I found one on Splenda - article says that Splenda is sucralose. See "First" magazine - 6/26/2006 issue. Also says sucralose can cause fatigue, headaches, brain fog (I have that anyway), nausea, mood swings/depression, etc. I'm trying to find other sources that have been written about this. I know practically anything we injest has a down side and nay sayers. I'm extremely tired and depressed - may not be from anything, but I'm changing sweetners. The article suggests using Stevia - (Stevia.com) a healthy alternative - so they say. Don't know much about Aspartame - is that Equal? Hugs, Rudie2
SoniaB
on 2/21/07 5:37 pm - Windsor, Canada

To put it in quick terms...aspartam is a chemical supplement for sugar. I think Equal has aspartame...on the other hand Splenda is a supplement made from sugar. By the way my nutrionist told me Stevia may cause diarrhea...so don't eat too much at first. You now what I haven't been taking much sweetners this week and I too have been extremely tired and depressed.   I am back logged on my work and have already slept 14 hours!  Mind you there are days when I only sleep 3 hours in two days...I had back surgery and sometimes I can't lie down in my own bed or recliner, because I can't get up lol  It's always funny and painful..I have to laugh otherwise I'd be crying my little heart out.

Cira S.
on 3/4/07 2:54 pm - Charles Town , WV
I can never take aspertame I get really bad migraines with it.  But I have been using splenda for 5 years now and I do great on it.   Good luck!

I am who I am and accept my feelings wholeheartedly.
Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Cira 249/144.0 current/goal 154/ 5'3" 10 lbs below my Dr's goal
100Cira-1.jpg picture by negra266

MardiGras
on 3/4/07 4:06 pm - appleton, WI
i can't drink crystal light at all anymore due to headaches. it's good to hear that i'm not the only one.

mardi

5' 8"/ 274 lbs / -144 lbs = 130 lbs. now  

BMI / 19.7

SoniaB
on 3/4/07 6:42 pm - Windsor, Canada
Cira:  I too get migraines with aspartame if I take in too much then I end up getting really sick.  Splenda doesn't seem to be so bad so far, but I don't use too much anyway. MardiGras: I am also happy to hear that I am not the only one I though I might have been a little hypochondriac or something :lol:
MardiGras
on 3/5/07 4:09 am - appleton, WI
after suffering from headaches most of my life, my phyciatrist prescribed propranolol 3x's a day and NO MORE HEADACHES!!!  i haven't had any crystal light though either. but my headaches occured almost daily whether i drank it or not.

now they're gone.  i'm so relieved. finally.

good luck.

mardi

5' 8"/ 274 lbs / -144 lbs = 130 lbs. now  

BMI / 19.7

bonniedavis
on 3/6/07 10:24 am - merritt island, FL
hi new to this i want to input on the aspartame issue.it is in my case also a cause of severe headaches.i use stevia and it is all natural.you can get it at the health food store and in my opinion the liquid is alot better tasting.also check web site sweetpoison.com for real eye openers on sweetners.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 897 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8495 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9060 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11034 views