POLL

DarlaJean
on 7/9/05 6:18 am - Baltimore, MD
Ok, after reading the messages on here, I am really wondering how many people that are at 1 to 2 years post-op say that they are sorry that they had this surgery, and if they had to do it over, despite the weight loss that they would not have done it. I am pre-op and running scared after reading some post...............have been considering switching to lapband. Responses?
dream_small
on 7/9/05 9:59 am - Allentown, PA
Darla Jean, I do have many regrets about having the surgery mostly because I wish I had just changed my lifestyle and dropped the pounds that way. I am ashamed that I risked my life and could have left my children without a mother because I couldn't make those serious lifestyle changes. I not talking about dieting because we all did a million of those I mean eating lots of healthy things and getting plenty of exercise every single day. I am having to do those things anyway to get my weight down except I now have an amputated digestive system and live with some unpleasant things like not being able to eat a speck of beef, constant gas, throwing up, not being able to regulate my hypothyroidism medication and other stuff. But even with all that I have just wrote deep inside I am so thankful that I am no longer nearly 300 pounds and I am glad that it was quite easy to do. I know that I may be contradicting myself but my head really does feel negative about it all but the 300 pound girl in my heart doesn't feel quite so negative about it. I am not sure if I could definitely say I would not do it again, if I did , I would definitely do it more wisely and with more of a support system. I probably didn't help you at all because I am still so conflicted about it...sorry. Good Luck in whatever decision you choose!! Debbie
Pennie P.
on 7/11/05 12:05 am - Suwanee, Ga
I HAD RNY 18 MONTHS AGO AND AT FIRST I WAS A UPSET GIRL BUT NOW I AM SO GLAD I HAD THIS SURGERY I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER ABOUT MYSELF AND I CAN GO ABOUT LIFE MUCH BETTER . AT FIRST IT IS A BIG SHOCK TO YOU BUT AFTER YOU SETTLE IN THINGS ARE OK BUT I HAVE BEEN LUCKY I CAN EAT JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING I WONT BUT IT SEEMS I LIKE HEALTHY FOODS BEST NOW. I HOPE ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU
HeatherBlood
on 7/11/05 12:25 am - Anchorage, AK
Hi Darla, I am over three years post op now, and I wouldn't change a thing. I am healthier, I know I will be there for my children and I make good choices now. I tried everything before taking this drastic step and I could not be happier with the results. Don't get me wrong. The first three months post op there was a lot of crying and what was I thinking, but I worked through it (with the help of a counselor) and now I am very happy. I lost 150 lbs and I am now pregnant with my second child. This pregnancy has been much healthier and in some ways better. No gestational diabetes, no swelling, no high blood pressure. I have gained 12 lbs and I am now at 31 weeks. I don't know much about the lap band, but I decided the RNY was the best route for me. Good luck to you! Heather 320-172 (184 - 31 weeks pregnant)
Annissa K.
on 7/12/05 5:00 am - Dothan, al
My only regret is not doing this sooner. I am almost 2 years out and have a 4 month old daughter. I have been extremely lucky in this journey. I have had no major problems, I rarely get sick and if I do it is self induced. I hate that I was unable to do this on my own, but know I would have never done it on my own. I know this because there are still times my head gets greedy with food and I think I can eat as much as I could before and I am grateful after that moment passes that I cannot. I've never felt better! Good luck! Annissa
Melodie
on 7/13/05 12:31 am - S E, Ok
Darla, I will be 2 years post-op Oct. 28th. I had my Open RNY in Mexico, because my insurance would not cover it in the states. I have not had any complications and have never felt more wonderful. Everyday I know that it is the best think I have EVER done for myself. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!! My husband had it a week after me and my daughter a year after and they say the same thing. Wishing you many blessings in your weight loss journey. Mel
MyLifeIsMyKarma
on 7/15/05 8:07 am - Northern, UT
Hi Darla, I am a Lap-Bander, and I am almost 20 months out from surgery. I have lost about 54% of my excess body weight. (80 lbs.) I have been thrilled with how it has worked for me, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I had a small complication at 6 weeks out, my port flipped, but it was a very quick, easy fix, and I was on my way to being a loser! : ) That was the worst thing that I had to deal with. One thing that you should realize, is that the % of the thousands of WLS patients who post on these boards is very small, and it is mostly just those who have issues after their surgery. Most patients are just out there living their new, healthier lives and not telling us about it on these message boards. Good luck in your decision. : ) Allison
SteveApril45
on 7/17/05 1:39 am - frostburg, MD
I had wls 19 months ago and if I could loose weight on my own I wouldn't have done this.I was at risk of dying anyways.I was 598 lbs and was stuck in my home for 10 years.I now weigh 277 lbs and I have moved to Md and I am never home.No regrets here....steve
Lalocaweta
on 7/17/05 12:43 pm - Spicewood, TX
I am sitting here - one year out - almost to the day. And still regretting having the surgery....I am below my goal weight...and I am sick almost every day. I am also having a real issue with feeling "fat" even though I am not. Reality is that I NEVER gave diet and exercise a real chance and it is too late now to... Anne 263/150/145
Jeanie
on 7/19/05 6:36 am - Piney woods, LA
Being scared is normal, and you will be scared regardless of the procedure you chose. Reality is, no one can predict who will breeze through this experience and who will hit the roadblocks of complications. I didn't really consider RNY, for reasons listed on my profile. I chose LapBand because, among many other reasons, it is reversible. That fact was like Dumbo's black feather .. the thought that I had a back door out got me through the surgery. I have not had the first thought of having it removed. I assume you've done your research .. rely on that. You've done all you can to ensure a good result for yourself. Best of luck to you! j
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 883 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8479 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9043 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11019 views