hello

cyndi40165
on 9/24/09 5:48 am - shepherdsville, KY
hey i am new to this but wanted to try this out to see if i could get some opinions on comparing the lapband surgery and the bypass....

i am 33 and i am 5'8 and weigh 285. i have battled weigh my whole life and now thru tradgedy of arthitis coming over my bodey in 2007 i have medicare and my doctors both arthitis and family are backing me...
because it is making me non mobile...

so if u have good pointers on comparing the 2 different operations please send all opintions....thanks  sooooo much
Kathie L.
on 9/26/09 2:17 am - Castaic, CA
Hi Cyndi,

I had RNY (gastric bypass) two years ago and don't regret it a bit. My decision to have gastric bypass versus the lapband included:

1) RYN - quicker weight loss
2) RNY - greater long term results
3) RYY - doesn't need the after care (fills of lapband)

I've never had a single problem with my RNY and love it (I lost 115 lbs). I'm also 5'8" and went from 260 to 145. Six months after my RNY I had a total hip replacement and now have my life back! Before those two surgeries I couldn't walk from my stove to the kitchen sink without a cane!!!

Good luck to you and making the best decision.

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
MsBatt
on 10/7/09 8:32 am
After the bypass, you should NOT take NSAIDs---but NSAIDs are the thing that best helps arthritis.

I don't know about the LapBand and NSAIDs. However, you CAN still take NSAIDs with either the DS or the Sleeve. Medicare does cover the DS, but not the Sleeve.

I went with the DS, and losing weight has made a huge difference in my mobility---but ttrust me, I will ALWAYS need the NSAIDs.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 106 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2345 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3550 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4814 views