New to Board: Dx'd with arthritis...Hip replacement at 48??

OregonGal
on 10/16/09 4:28 am - Beaverton, OR

I am 48 years old, down 105 lbs. with about 60 to go, and just told I have arthritis in both hips, one hip worse than the other. They also found a labral tear in one hip, thought to be due to the wearing down of the joint.  Two months ago, they gave me a cortisone shot in the hip - it helped for maybe about 6 weeks. Yesterday the doc tells me I have to wait 6 months between cortisone shots, and overall, they would only do so many rounds of that as multiple shots can also cause a problem.  She left me with "there's nothing more I can do for you right now" Gee, Thanks,Doc.

I've had fibro for 25 years and currently taking Neurontin (question if it's even helping), Ultram (takes the edge of the pain), Cymbalta (saw no change in pain level when I started this one 3 months ago) and Trazadone at night.  Overall, I feel way too much pain and fatigue to be on all these meds - say pain management doc months ago and she says there's nothing more she has to offer for the fibro. 

Water aerobics is what I am doing for exercise, but still even have pain moving in the water. 

Any suggestions? 

Kathie L.
on 10/23/09 2:06 am - Castaic, CA
Hi OregonGal,

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. I have gone through all of this and had a total hip replacement in 2008 (at age 57). 

I'd be very happy to talk to you (or write) if you have any questions that I can help you with regarding hip surgery.

All the best.

Kathie

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/09 7:32 am
OregonGal
on 10/25/09 12:27 pm - Beaverton, OR
Thanks Ted, for the info on the hip resurfacing - sounds like just the thing for me.
(deactivated member)
on 10/26/09 12:39 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 106 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2345 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3550 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4814 views