Do Steriods increase the risk of ulcers and strictures for RNY patients?

Superfreaky
on 10/31/10 12:20 pm
 I have been researching this question and not finding any hard evidence that the steriods are the problem.  Seems that the NSAIDS are the problematic drug.  I use a small dose of steriods daily.  Will this be a hindrance to getting RNY?
chatwithme
on 11/1/10 1:49 am
Hi Super,
Not sure if you are having the surgery or about to and I am not a physician, but I do know that after the surgery, NSAID are not to be taken anymore because it cause stomach issues. your pouch is reduced that you can irritate it easily with those types of medicines. Nor are you to take asprin, drink sodas anymore. Sodas stretch your pouch back to size of a regular stomach or more and asprin causes bleeding. Hope this helps. Tara (chatwithme)
hi everyone i am new to this site. i am angry about my weightloss. i have been constant 325 for 6 months. what am i doing wrong? i even bought diet pills to help.
rbb825
on 3/5/12 3:28 pm - Suffern, NY
NSAIDS cause a problem because they thin the lining of the lining of the stomach and then the increased acid causes the ulcer.  Repeated NSAIDS, will cause major damage to the lining of both the pouch and the remant  stomach not because you swallow it -it get into your bloodstream and then damages the lining.  It happens from pills, creams, gels, IV's.  It is very dangerous becasue when it happens in the remnant, you dont know until it is too late and I just read in a post on this board that a poster had major surgery from bleeding ulcers from taking NSAIDS - they were in the stomach and area that couldnt be seen in a scope.  He almost died from bleeding out.

And please - a soda doesn't stretch your pouch - how can some carbonation stretch an organ?  IT isnt' possible.  I have been drinking soda since 6 months out and my pouch is tiny - as confirmed by multiple endoscopies

happydsr
on 11/2/10 12:25 pm
detj
on 11/4/10 7:19 am - Silver Spring, MD
Suprefreaky:

A small dose of steroids daily will not increase your risk of ulcers unless you are also taking NSAIDs with the steroids. 

However, the steroids does increase the risk of poor wound healing and infection... no way to get around that. 

If you have been taking these daily for any significant length of time, you must continue them as you most likely have adrenal insufficiency (where your adrenal gland cannot normally make steroids any more).  In fact, it is very important that you let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know as you will need extra doses of the steroids around the time of surgery because our adrenal gland normally churns out more steroids for our body during times of stress such as during surgery and your complication rate would actually be less.

Good luck
Don

Superfreaky
on 11/4/10 10:11 am
 I did hear the rheumatologist say that he recommends doubling the dosage of steriods the week of the surgery.  I do not take Nsaids, they are pretty useless for my RA and do little to help with the pain.   I will discuss my dosage of steriods with my surgeon prior to surgery.  Thanks for the great answer and thanks to all who have taken the time to answer. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 100 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2335 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3542 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4806 views