Celebrex- I miss it!

The_best_me
on 4/5/11 2:20 pm - TX
I am 2 weeks post op RNY and I miss my celebrex. My joints ache. When should I be able to swallow the capsule? Opening the capsule Seems to reduce it's effectiveness so I've resorted to ibuprofen suspension. Which I'm aware of risks.
LisaGay44
on 4/7/11 6:25 am
Not sure when you can take it, but I was just put on it a couple of weeks ago. I love the stuff. I go next week to see if I can continue. Dr. who prescribed it was well aware of the WLS so there is hope for you.
The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman.(Author unknown)

jdruski
on 4/10/11 5:08 am - Philadelphia, PA
Check with both your orho and WLS as they might have different views of when you can start.  I was almost 4 years out before I could start taking it and my ortho had me check with my wl surgeon first.
MsBatt
on 4/21/11 2:29 pm
Celebrex is an NSAID---is your RNY surgeon okay with you EVER taking it again? Did you consider having either the Sleeve or the DS rather than the RNY? Neither of those forms of WLS substantially increase the risks of NSAIDs like the RNY does.
The_best_me
on 4/21/11 11:09 pm - TX
I restarted Celebrex as soon as I was able to take capsules. My concern in this older post was if I would ever be able to take my medicine whole. As a newbie, I was crushing everything. Celebrex's effectiveness is greatly reduced when you open the capsule. Celebrex is a COX-2 inhibitor, a type of NSAID designed to decrease risk of ulcers. After having a conversation with my surgeon, regarding my arthritic pain, he was fine with me restarting. I'm also h. Pylori neg, which lowers my risk of ulcers further.
kukukat
on 5/24/11 4:14 pm - Belmond , IA
I just tried Celebrex yesterday for the first time, having to go off my Etodolac before surgery.  My joints were in such pain with nothing but tylenol.  I am so glad to have some relief.  I expect to be able to use this after surgery.  My surgeon prescribed it for me.  I'm having RNY on Friday (in two days!)

banderjm
on 5/30/11 12:30 pm - AZ
Celebrex does provide some relief for my spinal issues and OA. I stopped taking it before lapband surgery in Nov 0/8. I lost 90 pounds and started taking it again a few months ago during times when I was most active. I have been quite disturbed lately because I have gained 15 pounds over the past few months and my eating habits have not changed and I have been exercising more. It just clicked a few days ago that the start of my weight gain coincides with the time I started back on the celebrex. I spent time this weekend reading post after post of stories from people who have gained weight taking celebrex (considerable in many cases). I just googled celebrex + weight gain. The drug companies always downplay these type of side effects and the insert does say that celebrex may cause unexplained weight gain. I know I will be stopping it immediately and will find out if it is the cause of my weight gain. 
kukukat
on 5/31/11 2:21 am - Belmond , IA
That's good to know (about the risk of weight gain as a side effect).  I will definitely take that into account before taking it again.  Right now, (5 days after RNY surgery)  I could resume taking it, according to my doctor's instructions, but since I have liquid lortab for pain, I'm going to wait until I need something more and then decide.  Maybe I will have lost enough that my joints will be pain free!  Wouldn't that be nice?!
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 1:41 pm - Toronto, Canada
 My doc just gave me a sample of Celebrex to try for the first time for OA in my hip.  Wow, with one dose I noticed an incredible reduction in the pain.  But I'm a bit freaked out about all the side effects, the black label warning from the FDA and my chances of having a "cardiovascular event"..does that mean a heart attack?  I can't decide if I want to take it, although I haven't had this much OA relief in a long time.  
Does anyone know of any drugs with fewer potential side-effects that are safer to take but also offer similar pain relief?
Geni Gal
on 8/30/11 4:56 am
I've been taking Arthrotec for years and wonder if Celebrex might be a better alternative.  Anyone tried Arthrotec and made the switch to Celebrex?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 101 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2336 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3542 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4807 views