Anyone develop arthritis POST surgery as a complication?

MotivatedOne
on 4/29/11 6:17 am, edited 4/29/11 6:19 am
RNY on 05/28/08 with
I am three years out of RNY. 8 months ago I developed acute joint pain in shoulders, ankles, and hands. Doctors (PCP, Rheumatologist, podiatrist, Bariatric Surgeon) think sypmtoms are closest to Blind Loop Syndrome, which was a complication of an now-obselete WLS that was performed years ago. Basically, an overgrowth of bacteria somewhere in my GI has migrated to the joints. Antibiotics is the standard treatment, but has not succeeded. My quality of life has decreased significantly and reversal of the RNY is a very real possibility. Has anyone experienced a post WLS onset of arthritis? RA has been ruled out along with gout.

P.S.  I developed an ulcer as a result of the NSAIDs for the joint pain. No fun.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

MsBatt
on 4/30/11 1:48 pm
Have they ruled out plain ol', garden-variety OA? No offense intended, but your avatar indicates you're approaching the age when most people DO have some arthritis. Could it have nothing whatsoever to do with your RNY?

I've had severe osteoarthritis since age 20. You have my sympathy.
MotivatedOne
on 5/2/11 3:33 am
RNY on 05/28/08 with
Hi,
You could be right. My bariatric surgeon wants to make sure the cause of the arthritis is related to WLS before he does a reversal. That's why we are getting a second opinion from an elite medical clinic at Cedar's Sinai in Los Angeles. Hopefully the doctors there can either confirm or elminate the link to WLS and we can go forward accordingly.

MsBatt
on 5/2/11 6:28 am
You definitely don't want to have a reversal if you can avoid it. Are they thinking this is related to blind loop syndrome? There was a form of arthritis that was very common after the old JIB.
MotivatedOne
on 5/3/11 1:54 am
RNY on 05/28/08 with
Yes, the diagnosis for now is Blind Loop Syndrome with  a bacterial overgrowth which has migrated and settled in the joints, causing the swelling and pain.. It most closely resembles blind loop syndrome, even though I don't technically have a blind loop.

MsBatt
on 5/3/11 2:45 am
Well, duh---I'd have known that if I'd bothered to go back and read the whole thing, wouldn't I? (*grin*)
What sort of anti-bacterial treatment have they done, and have you tried adding probiotics to build up your 'good' bacteria? Do they think that perhaps you have a partial obstruction, causing the Blind Loop problems? Do you have any gut pain? Blind Loop Syndrome was one of the scarier things I learned about when I was researching WLS.
MotivatedOne
on 5/3/11 3:38 am
RNY on 05/28/08 with
No gut pain or suspected obstruction, just the sudden,rapid weight loss (30 pounds in 6 weeks) at the onset of joint pain. Been taking Flagyl and Cipro...stopped today and going to go back on a pack of Align probiotics.

MsBatt
on 5/3/11 7:50 am
Being completely nosey---and concerned---here, do you have a blog, etc. of your progress with this that I could read? Given my long-standing joint issues, every time I run across someone having strange problems I want to know more.

I wish I had more info that might help you.
MotivatedOne
on 5/5/11 2:09 am
RNY on 05/28/08 with
Just posted the blog.

Melanie L.
on 7/30/14 3:42 pm - Gadsden, Al

I have blind loop syndrome from WLS. Please contact me. [email protected] Or Melanie Loyd on facebook. I welcome anyone who is in the same boat.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 100 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2335 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3542 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4806 views