Handicap Bird Owners - what are you using

Debi628
on 3/6/04 12:30 am - Lorton, va
I have a one year old male ****atiel that is handicap. He cannot perch. One leg is deformed and sits near his body and other foot is okay, but not strong enough to perch on one leg. He's been this way since 5 weeks old. He jumped from a perch onto the grill of the cage and it either gave way or his foot went into the grill. Anyways, his hip for lack of a better term was broken. When took to the vet; she could not tell if permanent or temp broke. He is a happy little guy and flies whereever he needs to go. I have an aviary inside my home and have taken a 2' and 4' long ladders and put one across the cage and one to the side of cage. He hops onto them. Also have 3 wire shelves attached to cage that he can sit on to sip water. I have fake rock ledges where his food is in small lipped containers clipped to the cage. He can plop himself right in it. so that's my setup and looking to find out what others are using. His name is The Gimp, Gimppy,
ms. P.
on 3/8/04 8:08 pm - bel air, md
I have a little white crested pionus with several of his toes missing. i bought him this way. I was told that his mother chewed them off. He stays on top of his cage since he can not perch well. I have it set up like a little gym on top. He is 7 years old and has never been inside of his cage. Luckly for me he dosen't fly around. I don't think he knows how. every once in a while I will come home and he will be on the floor, I think that something must have spooked him. It sounds like the set up you have for bird is great. Good luck. Leslie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Parrotmom of 5
Eveningblossom · 2 replies · 425 views
Cockatiel passed away :'(
mysaffireeyes · 3 replies · 689 views
Molting and Plucking
Angel J. · 1 replies · 399 views