looking for macaw or ****atoo

erin o
on 2/13/05 3:08 am - MOORPARK, CA
I have been thinking about buying one of the larger birds but would like to read about some personal experiences with them.If you have a large bird please enlighten me.I have done the food,care research now I am looking for social attention loveable cuddlys etc..Thanks for your time, erin
Katygram 1.
on 2/22/05 11:36 am - Katy, TX
Hi Erin, Just saw your posts re Macaws and ****atoos and noticed you have surgery scheduled REAL soon. LOL to you. I'm scheduled for 4/5/05. I also have a 7 year old Umbrella ****atoo; I've had him since he was a really young guy with pin feathers. I fed him with a dropper for several weeks and he loved it. He also loves ME as a result of my being his primary caretaker and love provider. He is a loveable and affectionate pet to my husband and I but he doesn't care for visitors who take our attention away from him. He yells a lot when we have company and will snap at them if they put a hand in his cage. He really is a gentle lover but likes only his family. We love him. BTW: He pretty much ignores our two little Yorkies. Interesting, huh? katygram1
ms. P.
on 3/3/05 9:37 pm - bel air, md
Erin, I have two ****atoo's. If I would have known how loud, messy, and mean they can be I don't think I would have ever gotten them. They tend to be very jelous birds. They can be very lovable and cuddly, j ust be aware that they can also turn into the boss of you very quickly!! Now that I have my too's I wouldn't give them up for anything on earth, I just wish I would have raised them better. I have had my umbrella since he was a year old and spoiled him way too much, now he demands all of my attention. I rescued a moluccan and he was already 21yrs old so no chance of changing his ways, but he has come around quite a bit. I love my birds dearly and I am not trying to disccourage you from too's, just be carefull!! Check out the website for too's @ mytoos.com. Very informing. You can also e-mail me if you have any questions Leslie
serenitynow!
on 6/1/05 9:01 am - Westlake, OH
Hi Erin! I can't warn you enough NOT to get a ****atoo unless you are very experienced in the bird psyche! Yes they can be very cuddly but if you aren't the one they love, you will be a prisoner in your own home. We have a female umbrella. She adores my son and husband but attacks me. Let me tell you there isn't anything more painful than that huge beak sinking into your skin. The other aspect is that you would have a pet that is a toddler forever which can be 70 years. Not to mention the mess and the noise. Our ****atoo is relatively quiet which means she screams in the morning and at night and any time we're out of her sight. She throws her food all over the place and can demolish a door frame in 5 minutes. If you have never had a bird start small. I would recommend a Quaker parrot. They have alot of personality in a small package and talk much better than most ****atoos. I wish someone had warned me before I got my ****atoo. The lady I bought my ****atoo from absolutely lied to me. Don't let that innocent sweet feathery face fool you! Good Luck! Jen
C-There
on 8/3/05 1:55 pm - Brevard County, FL
Jennifer is right on mark with her response. As I can see, I'm a few months behind....but I've been living in another country with my 2 parrots (and dog). I have both a Noble Macaw (Mini, the size of a Conure and he talks up a storm like the BIG macaws), 10 yrs. old and a Moluccan ****atoo, 21 years. We rescued the ****atoo 6 years ago (self-mutilator). The ****atoos' behavior changed dramatically and I dont have the behavior that most of the other ladies are talking of - only the "Amazon Jungle" calls at bedtime between my two little monkeys. I have trained them to call me differently in the morning, and have taught them how to play quietly in their cages until Momma gets up. The No-no finger works well at our house, otherwise if I so much as turn around looking for the WATER BOTTLE, "feathers are a flying". (I have no human children, thus I have the time). The ****atoo in the beginning has given my husband 2 bites in very sensitive spots and now he's almost scared to pieces-but tries not to show it to the bird. The Macaw is our little brat and because of his size is easier to handle when being sassy, but his bite is not nice either. I think the smaller bird is better, and try to adopt if you can. I just moved to FL and the vets office already called me and asked me take in 2 birds! Call your local vet office or shelter and tell them to call you if someone tries to give away these beautiful creatures. These are perpetual 3 yr. olds and even after owning parrots 11 years and traveling to Asia with them - I still keep learning things about them. Remember they are a creatures of habit, give them structure and DO NOT SPOIL or OVER ENDULGE! That will end up hurting you (with their bad habits) and or worse, them. C
Hockeynana
on 8/9/05 11:49 pm - Fairborn, OH
I have a Scarlett McCaw. I bought him for my husband about 12 years ago. He was 7 and came with really bad habits. He never liked my husband and only took up with me. He will bite anyone else that comes around. He is loud and messy but I love him. I wish he would respond to the other family members because he could have so much more love but they seem to be a one person bird. I can do anything with him. One thing-do not allow them to sit over your head. They should always be at your level or below your head so you have the dominence. He also doesn't like the regular seed. I have to make a mixture of seed, beans, macaronis, banana chips, etc.
VMorris26
on 8/27/05 10:43 pm - Flint, MI
The larger birds prefer their people of the opposite sex. If you acquire a male bird, they usually prefer the girls or ladies, and a female will prefer the guys. Also, it is better to get them while they are young. They will bond to you and not have the bad habits from previous owner.
Eveningblossom
on 11/4/10 7:19 pm - Cuba City, WI
Tika is a Blue & Gold female Macaw and l am a female and the only one she likes.
poopie
on 9/9/05 7:17 pm - Ventura, Ca
If you want something to cuddle PLEASE do not get a parrot. Parrots are not supposed to be pets they are only 1 generation from the wild at best. They are very complicated creatures and you cannot make them like you if they decide not to. We have 7 parrots, mostly rescues and have done hundreds of hours of research on how to care for them. I was never more happy when the big chain pet stores stopped selling parrots this year after pressure from the animal groups. If you feel you must get a parrot research, talk to people and realize you might bring home an animal that wants nothing to do with you. I brought home a Rose-Breasted 2 from the pet store and she wants NOTHING to do with me but loves my 17 year old daughter. My husbands 27 yo Double Yellow Headed Amazon will bite the heck out of anyone except him. My Scarlet Macaw only likes me and my husband and will bite and draw blood on ANYONE else who comes near. Does this bother us? Not at all because it is how parrots are in reality. You will hear a few stories from people who have cuddly parrots, but those stories are few and far between, you will hear many more stories from people who brought home a cute little baby bird and are now living with a monster in their house. Ok off my soap box. ;)
Eveningblossom
on 11/4/10 7:13 pm - Cuba City, WI
You are right about taking chances with birds.
I have a Blue& Gold Macaw that I can cuddle like a baby, but is for me only.

2 of my Quakers stay 2 them selves and the conure and the other Quaker loves me dearly and I have had them for years.

I would be lost without them but like you said, it is not for everyone.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Parrotmom of 5
Eveningblossom · 2 replies · 424 views
Cockatiel passed away :'(
mysaffireeyes · 3 replies · 687 views
Molting and Plucking
Angel J. · 1 replies · 398 views