SI Eclectus and BF Amazon

Paula T.
on 7/24/05 7:53 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Fellow Bird Lovers!! Seems this board is pretty quiet (unlike my home..lol) I have a menagerie of "kids" including 2 parrots. "Chickie" is a Blue-fronted Amazon that has been with me since 1988. "Clementine" is a female Solomon Island Eclectus that has been with me since 1998. This past 4th of July, Clemmie decided to lay an egg...I am now limiting her daylight exposure and that seems to have helped. I hope this board becomes a bit more active....hint, hint Cheers, Paula
bigmamanomore
on 7/31/05 6:43 am - Lake Charles, LA
Yes I know what you mean about a loud household! I have a yellow nape amazon 4 yrs old and a baby blue and gold macaw that is 11 weeks old. As well as 2 cats (gray tabby and siamese) and 2 inside dogs (westie and schnoodle) and 3 outside dogs (2- german shephards and a boxer) We also breed birds. We have 5 pair of breeder parrots. Blue and gold Macaw, African Grey, Double yellow head amazon, yellow nape amazon, and a pair of hybrid catalina macaws. Things are definitely LOUD! Let's get this board going it is kinda ummm dead! Good to meet you Paula. I need a good name for my b & g baby we haven't done a dna on it yet so we don't know the sex at this time. Denise 283/196/140 lap RNY 1/27/05
C-There
on 8/3/05 2:04 pm - Brevard County, FL
I just moved back from Korea, the Korean word for parrot is "Ameuzay" (spelling of course is in Korean). I will try this in stupid American phonetics.... A (the letter "A") Muse (like to be someone's muse) A (the letter (A", again) I hope that was easy. (I have 2 parrots that I took to Korea - rushed home because of the Avian Flu was starting to close the door on exporting my babies back even though they were AMERICANS!!!). But we are all safe at home and disease free.
Paula T.
on 10/5/05 3:27 am - Chicago, IL
Hey Denise!!! Sorry I was so long in replying!! Oh, my friend has a yellow nape appropriately named "Echo". What talented birds they are!!! I used to work in a pet store (little mom and pop place...not one of the superstores they have now) and we had a Blue/Gold macaw named "Twerp" I have lots of good memories of that bird..he belonged to the owner and would mimic his voice. Used to call my name when I was in the back of the store and I would think it was the boss! I sure got a lot of exercise walking back and forth back then!! Have you DNA'd the B/G? (ha ha, how's that for a code?) Did you decide on a name? My household is in a bit of a funk....my female eclectus is REALLY hormonal lately...so much that I am considering finding her a male...BUT I really don't think I want to add another pet to the household...other than Clementine's "mood" everything is where I want it to be. And, as always $$$$ is a factor. I'm going to try decreasing her sunlight and see if that will help. Any other suggestions from birdie folks would be appreciated..... Paula
C-There
on 8/3/05 2:18 pm - Brevard County, FL
Whoops...didnt give birdy info. I have 2 chickies. 10 yr. old Noble Macaw (Mini) and a 21 yr. old Moluccan ****atoo that I rescued 6 years ago. My Moluccan just had neck surgery last week on his self-mutilation "war-wound". I just moved back to the states and upon getting settled in our new home the new doc suggested removing years of scar tissue and closing the wound. Needless to say...we've got 4 inches of sewn of chicken neck with a green "neckwrap". He's been doing so well, but didnt like his daily antibiotic shot. My chicky doesnt regurgitate like the macaw, when he's sick - he just throws up and expells it out, having nothing to do with it. Doc said that was okay, since he's a healthy weight and he's taking in food, liquids and active. We're nursing the little bit of food down and trying to keep it in. Doc said today one more week of wrap and then stitches will come out. Anyways...didnt know there was a BIRD section. But then again, I'm new to the OH Msg.Board anyways. But I'll hang out here because these are the only kids I have (besides my dog). Interesting to hear about your EGG, Paula. I'm wondering if my Moluccan is really a female instead of male (like the vet that gave him to me said he was, vet said he DNA'd him). I talked to this new doc and he worked in South America and said its possible with Moluccans to DNA and it then be a female. My Moluccan guy just acts like....okay....mount me, "receptive". Unlike my other guy (Mini Macaw, who's DNA'd)..doing the nasty to my hand or arm. How long had you established your relationship with your bird before she laid an egg for you? C
Paula T.
on 10/5/05 3:34 am - Chicago, IL
Hello C, I need to also apologize for being so long in replying back to you.... My ekkie has been with me for about 6 years or so...she laid an egg in July...and now it's October and she did it again!!!! Her cage is near a window and so she is getting a lot of sunlight. Lately she is sitting low on the perch and making the "squeaky" noises....Hopefully with some regulating of her sunlight I can put a stop to the egg laying. Sounds like your move to the States involved a lot of birdie-paperwork, I'll bet. Did your birds have to be quarrantined? For how long? Any bird food recipes to share? Hope to hear from you soon! Paula
carriej
on 9/24/05 3:17 pm - Golden Valley, MN
Hi!! I just saw this board linked from my MN board and I got excited! My husband Rick and I have 2 SI Ekkie boys and a Nanday Conure and a Sun Conure. Along with our beagle and our bassett hound I know how loud the house CAN get Our one Ekkie boy Chewy is a rescue and the light of my life. He amazes me on a daily basis with how intelligent he is. It's so nice to see bird people here, we are definately a rare breed
Paula T.
on 9/25/05 7:53 am - Chicago, IL
hi Carrie, My female ekkie, Clementine started getting somewhat broody...even laid an egg back in June. Had to limit the amount of sunlight she was getting and it seems to have helped. I agree about the intelligence with ekkies...and what an escape artist mine is..a very clever bird. Any particular toys that your birds prefer? Mine likes the puzzle type stuff...she's not much of a chewer, unlike the Amazon. Oh yeah, and she insists on oatmeal in the morning....fed by spoon. What a mess!!! (word of advice: pomegranites (sp) are a favorite food...but if you try to give them to your birds, you will be wiping the juice from the ceiling and walls..lol) Paula
carriej
on 9/26/05 7:25 am - Golden Valley, MN
our two conures were getting a bit hormonal and the minute we decreased their light they went back to being sweet as pie. poor little babies. i know how i get when im hormonal, i feel so bad for the wee ones. if you want to see some of our babies you can go to "petster.com" and look up ID "fiddymommy" and there are our kids chewy and pepper love the smaller bird type toys. foraging toys, and a new favorite is popcorn in a brown bag. they rip it up! its hilarious Rick and i make toys and sell them on ebay so there is never any lack of toys for the fidlets in our house. another big favorite is a toy we make with untreated hemp and small plastic beads. they love to pop the beads off and it keeps them entertained for hours. oh they also love the roll of register tape toys we make. i have some friends who's ekkie demolishes any wood he can get his beak on, my boys however find wood beneath them go figure. i have this recipe for oatmeal the kids go ga-ga over. sweet potato, soaked millet, kashi, bananas, all kinds of good stuff. i also make birdy bread. if you want the recipe i would be more than happy to send it to you as for the pomegranates, yes i know what you mean. my wall has this lovely mural the boys made for mommy. if you have pics i would LOVE to see them. my fids are my life
Paula T.
on 10/5/05 3:18 am - Chicago, IL
Carrie, Can you please email me? I'd love to have the recipes!! [email protected] thanks! Paula
Most Active
Recent Topics
Parrotmom of 5
Eveningblossom · 2 replies · 423 views
Cockatiel passed away :'(
mysaffireeyes · 3 replies · 686 views
Molting and Plucking
Angel J. · 1 replies · 398 views