Inauguration Tip

the7thdean
on 12/5/08 11:54 am - GA
If you are coming the the DC Metro area for this historical event -- I suggest you book a hotel that is a few blocks from the metro stations. 

Here is a link to the DC Metro Rail Map website:
http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

Parking is going to be expensive and probably non-existent.  You will probably be able to purchase all day tkts to ride the Metro.  If you book a hotel in Virginia you can book as far out as Franconia/Springfield, VA -- the blue line ends there.  Even if you have to go further south to Woodbridge or Dale City you can drive up to Springfield to catch the metro.

Greenbelt, MD -- the Green line ends there (I used to live in Greenbelt).  Greenbelt also has a high rise Marriott (which is in walking distance of the metro); The Courtyard by Marriott and a Hilton Inn and a one other on the same property they are about 5 minutes from the metro and there is a TGIF restuarant across the street from these hotels and other eateries about 3 minutes from this group of hotels.  There are numerous restaurants in this area.

Even if you find a hotel in College Park -- this is also on the Green Line -- you can pick up the metro either in Greenbelt or College Park -- there are parking fees -- but way cheaper than parking in DC.  I don't recommend the other end of the Green Line; however, there might be some hotels in Clinton, MD -- that's about 5-10 minute drive from the end of the line.

The north end of the red line ends in Maryland.  If you locate hotels in Columbia or even Baltimore you can drive into Wheaton -- park and take the Metro into DC.

Trust, if you're coming in for the inauguration -- driving and looking for parking should be the last thing on your minds.  Locating a hotel is going to be an adventure.

There is a commuter system that runs from Baltimore to DC Union Station as well as from points in West Virginia.  I don't know what kind of schedule they are going to be running.  They usually just run during the morning and evening hours.

Ladies -- leaves those wells that ya'll call purses in the hotel.  Only a few items I recommend taking -- jacket of course -- it can be bitter cold here in January, camera, umbrella and of course -- cash money.  Please put your purse in the trunk of your car BEFORE you leave the hotel so no one will see you do it at the Metro Station.  I'd get all the cash you think you'd need prior to getting down town -- that way you don't have to look for an ATM machine and decreases the opportunity for an opportunist to take advantage.

A place you MUST eat -- Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street -- it's on the Green Line -- the U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial Stop -- good eats and there is always a crowd.  You order at the counter and they only take cash and Bill Cosby is the only celebrity that can eat there for free -- so you never know who you might run into that weekend.

Also we have a couple of hotels here in Owings Mills and Pikesville Maryland.  They are close to 695 and about a 40 minutes drive to the Wheaton metro station.

So if you're coming -- have a great time and be safe.

Peace,

Star Jones
on 12/6/08 1:12 am - National Harbor, MD
Chile, you aint hear? There are no hotels left in the WHOLE area. People are booking hotels now over an hour away.....WV, far as shyt VA. No more room at the inn round this piece. I'm glad I live IN DC, walking distance to Metro!!!!

~Shani~
I've been pudgy, chubby, thick, and now fat........Imma give thin a go round!!!

SW-262, size 18W, 5'6"
CW-168 1/15/2010
GW-162
94 Lbs down...6 more to go...changed goal to see Onderland for a hot second!

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/08 6:37 am - DMV Diva Member...for life...lol!, NC
Girl two people in my neighborhood have rented their home for the week for $10k and others are renting rooms for $600-1000 per night! Dayum why I have to be anti-social....I could be making mad loot...lol!
the7thdean
on 12/6/08 9:37 am - GA
Yeah, I'd heard that the hotels in DC where sold out and they had started on Baltimore.  Good thing they just finished a Hilton or something close to the Baltimore Convention Center and they are working on a new located in Fells Point.  Doubt if they finish that one in the next 6 weeks.

I betcha they wouldn't be sold out if it was McCain.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 185 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1130 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2020 views