New to BAF

knowbetterdobetter
on 1/6/12 12:02 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Hey all,
Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I have been lurking for a while and dont post much on this board but plan to change that. I have not had my surgery yet. I was just approved so I am going through the pre-op testing etc. I am 5'1" and weigh 305 lbs. I have no idea how much I want to lose yet. I am thinking of setting my sights for 145 lbs. I am 43 years old. Also I dont have a photo yet because I have not told my family about the surgery and dont plan to tell them until after the surgery so I dont want anyone to recognize me from this site and tell my family. I have only told my husband, daughter and sister who are all very supportive. My name is Lisa by the way and I look forward to getting to know you all.
dstgirl2000
on 1/6/12 2:22 am
Hey Lisa.................Welcome to the BAFam!!  Congratulations on your approval too.  This is an exciting time for you now.  Do you know which procedure you're having yet?  You certainly can learn a lot of valuable information from the the vets and newbies too on this site.  I wish you well on your wl journey!

Janice

knowbetterdobetter
on 1/6/12 4:46 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12

Thank you Janice. Yes, this is an exciting time and I am trying to be patient with the process. I am having the RNY sometime within the next two months.

Lisa

dstgirl2000
on 1/8/12 9:51 pm
I researched a long while before I decided on the RNY, and I think I made a great choice for my lifestyle and habits.  I'm 2.5 years out, and It has worked beautifully thus far.  The daily vigilance is a whole other task to stay in goal range, and keep the weight off, get your proper nutrition and hydration in, as well as the proteins and vits.  Those unfamiliar with the wls process, often say that the "surgery" was an easy way out, to which I just smile as I think if you only knew just how deeply involved this life long process is!  It is a lifetime commitment!

Best wishes,

J

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 4:00 am - Fair Play, CA
Welcome to BAF! and congrats on your approval. Thats a major milestone in itself. Its a good thing to be discrete because you don't need negative people giving you biased feeback right now. Just stick with your surgeon and the supportive folks in your life. Congrats!
knowbetterdobetter
on 1/6/12 4:47 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Thank you and yep I will only stick with supportive folks.
MSW will not settle
on 1/8/12 2:14 am
Welcome! 

No need to think about what you want to loose. (But its so hard not to right? Lol.  )  As you loose you will learn what is right for you personally.  

For now focus on what procedure is best for you.  Which possible side effects can you handle?  Which issues are a deal killer hands down?  What do you wish to accomplish in addition to weight loss?  Are you a compulsive eater?  How will a larger vessel impact your over eating behaviors?  When and how will you address underlying eating disoeders?  Are you dealing with metabolic issues and what is the impact of your metabolism vs your behavior?  Re you still telling yourself that although you qualify for wls you don't really eat that much, or thatbadly, or...

There are so many factors besides weight loss that fall into the decision to have wls or not.   Do your research and tell the "My wls is the best wls" cheerleaders to go screw themselves along with those that make only disparaging remarks about the surgical choices of others.  Anyone who gives only the pros or only the cons on any procedure is not a reliable source of iformation.  This is all about you and
what is right for you alone.

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

knowbetterdobetter
on 1/8/12 5:55 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Thanks MSW. I appreciate the questions you listed for me to consider. Oh, and I am ignoring those WLS cheerleaders. I did my research and I made my decision so they are not going to push me around at all.
Thanks again.
Lisa
Lia D
on 1/13/12 2:57 am - Waldorf, MD
Hey Lisa! 

Welcome to BAF and congratulations on your approval.  This site has a great deal of information and people willing to talk to you about anything.  Keep us posted on your progress and keep posting.  Take care!

Lia d
knowbetterdobetter
on 1/13/12 3:11 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
I will Lia.
Thank you so much!

Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 186 views
Please help