hey...didn't even realize

Lexie 84
on 2/16/12 4:49 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
I didn't realize this forum was here...nice to see another community of beautiful black folk!

I'm Lexie...27 yrs old, from Chicago but been in the DVM (Washington, DC Area) since 2002. I'm scheduled for surgery on 3/13. I'm still torn between VSG and RNY. I really can't make up my mind. I have spent most of my time these last 8 months on the VSG forum and have been encouraged from seeing a lot of success. However, I'd like to find some black ppl that I can identify with that have had success with VSG. Realistically and biologically, a lot of our bodies are different than our melanin-resistant brothers and sisters and I want to be sure that VSG will work for me. I am diabetic, hypertensive and have sleep apnea. I'm 4'10", weight about 221, BMI 46. I want to loose 100lbs. My surgeon says I need to do RNY but I don't want the complications and malabsorption of nutrients forever. Any ideas...?????

OntrackAgain
on 2/16/12 6:07 am - Ashburn, VA
RNY on 03/06/12
 Lexie

I am scheduled for RNY on 3/6.  My original research was on the Lapland.  However like you I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and pre hypertension.  When I looked at the success rate of diabetes patients after RNY my decision was made and I have not looked back.

On the malabsorption issue.  Our bodies will malabsorption for 18 to 24 months is what I understand.

Good luck with your decision and surgery!

To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Required!                
MSW will not settle
on 2/16/12 2:01 pm
You will have some level of malabsorption fo life.  However the 18-24 moth period is your "honeymoon" when malabsorption is at its highest. 

There is no accurate measure of what % of calories we do not digest, even immediately after surgery.  The length of the bypass will play a part in this. 

Most importantly, we wil never fully absorb nutrients again.  This is why we nmust never ever slack off on the vitamins and we must take sufficient supplements for our surgery type. 

LEE
on 2/16/12 8:21 am
Hi Lexie,  unfortunately there are not many of us here anymore, but hopefully you will get enough feedback from those of us who are to help you with your decision.

I too was diabetic prior to my RNY and from the second I woke up from it I had normal blood sugar and have had no diabetes since and it's been almost 7 years now. 

The malabsorption is an issue that we have to deal with, that is why we have to take supplements, not just for a year or 4 after but for the rest of our lives.  It is just something you get use to doing in order to keep yourself healthy.

I am glad I chose RNY because it worked best at getting me healthy overall.
Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
MSW will not settle
on 2/16/12 1:55 pm
RNY is often reccomended for diabetics because it resolve something like 80% of diebetes very quickly.  Don't quote me on the stats but it is a signiificantly high  percentage. 

I selected my surgeon because he was experienced with vsg.  However due to my metabolic issues he believed 
I needed the malabsorption.  Less than a week before surgery I decided to go with the rny.  No pressure, the decision was all mine and am glad I did.  

I suggest you evaluate why you are obese in relation to what each option has to offer.  For example:  I like a full belly so the larger capacity of the vsg and the ds were not really in my best interest.  I have metabolic issues that no surgery can resolve; therefore, some level of malabsorption made sense.  The ds was way outside my comfort level but I coud live witht the reduced malabsorption of the rny.  The band has the advantage of being fully reversible but it requires more follow up than I care for. 

Focus on the negatives because these will be hardest to live with.  Can you handle dumping with an rny or the inconvenience of more frequent bowel movements with a ds?  Most folks will not experience either but if you do is that ok with you? 

I speak of all procedures not just rny and vsg deliberately.   You should consider and rule out all possibilities for their pros and cons before making a decision.  You want this to be a one shot deal. 

There are succesful folks on these board with all types of procedures.  There are also thse who have done poorly with all types of procedures.  Its all about finding the best fit for how you live and the dysfunctional eating behaviors you need to address for long term success. 

Good luck whatever you decide. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

dstgirl2000
on 2/20/12 12:21 am
Hi Lexie............., and welcome to the BAFam.  I have no experience with the VSG, and I am 2.5 yrs out from RNY.  It worked well for me, and it's a decision that you will need to make based on your needs and your doctor's recommendations.  Malabsoprtion is an issue, and is different with each patient.  Taking your vits, and drinking protein will need to be part of your new normal.  But for the results that you will experience with improved health and weight loss, it is well worth it. 

I wish you well with your wl journey.

JJ

mel1964
on 2/22/12 12:23 am
hi, i had the ds and i  can still stand to lose more but i am very happy with my decision, however, with any wls you want the one that is going to keep the weight off and with rny and ds you must take vits and there will be some degree of malabsorption. even with the vsg you will need vits,and continue to exercise check all the forums and dsfacts.com, i was also diabetic, hypothyroid and had high blood pressure, i am no longer diabetic, high blood pressure gone and i have had my thyroid meds reduced, i know i have to take vits forever but i never want to be size i was again on on insulin and blood pressure meds forever. i still take nexium, any surgery may cause complications but you have to take time to choose the right surgeon and the surgery thats right for you, reseach and then make your choice.

Phyll H
on 2/22/12 5:44 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 08/04/08 with
welcome my VSG sista.   closing in on 4 years out VSG !!!
VSG  8-4-08  -5'5
HW   310
SW   216
CW   172
LW    160
GW   170  
GW    170- 175

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 188 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1131 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2022 views