Newby to BAF

rightrage
on 9/24/12 10:35 am - Columbia, SC
I am a 45y/o man, who is considered morbidly obese.  I am looking for support in my journey to lose weight and to get information about WLS in South Carolina.

I was 405lbs 3 years ago, but have had a struggle with reducing my chicken wing and Ice cream quotient.

Please Help!
MSW will not settle
on 9/24/12 1:37 pm
Welcome!  Ask questions.  Make comments.  Vent.  Even have fun.  This forum serves many purposes for different folks.  If its on your mind put it out there.  That is how help comes your way. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

dstgirl2000
on 9/25/12 12:45 am
Welcome Carolinian to the BAFam!.............I'm in Charlotte.  Where are you in your journey?  Have you had an initial consultation?  Wherever you are along the way, you can ask any question here on the board.  We're all in the struggle.  There are no stupid questions.  Put it out there for discussion.  You might just find out what you need.  Or at least get pointed in some direction.

Best wishes on your journey to better health.

JJ

rightrage
on 9/25/12 1:29 am - Columbia, SC
I have made 25 years of on and off efforts and have failed to be consistent.  My most recent major attempts were to get on the Biggest Loser and my partner backed out as we made the final round .  I finally made a decision to get GBS and then I lost my job and insurance.  I was 405 at my height and 365 now.  My lowest weight in the last 7 years was 349.

I am a pastor of a small church and entering a PhD program.  I have a unique time frame to qualify for medicaid.  I don't know if they offer WLS options.

gmp
dstgirl2000
on 9/25/12 5:11 am
Keep up the good fight Rightrage!  Research the SC Medicaid program to see if it's offered and if you qualify.  Undergoing any wls is very personal decision.  I hope it works out in your family.

JJ

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/12 8:04 am
On September 25, 2012 at 8:29 AM Pacific Time, rightrage wrote:
I have made 25 years of on and off efforts and have failed to be consistent.  My most recent major attempts were to get on the Biggest Loser and my partner backed out as we made the final round .  I finally made a decision to get GBS and then I lost my job and insurance.  I was 405 at my height and 365 now.  My lowest weight in the last 7 years was 349.

I am a pastor of a small church and entering a PhD program.  I have a unique time frame to qualify for medicaid.  I don't know if they offer WLS options.

gmp
 I've talked to someone who said that in SC they do cover WLS for Medicaid and Medicare.
MSW will not settle
on 9/25/12 10:55 am
GRAB THAT MEDICAL COVERAGE WLS OR NOT!  You cannot predict your medical needs.  Wishing you good health but we must be prepared.  WLS coverage varies by state just as it does with private insurance. 

This was an 8+ year decision for me.  My DD whom I dragged to wls seminars grew up and had the VGB before I got the courage to have RNY.  Like so many of us, I kept insisting I could do this with out wls. 

There is no better or lesser option as long as you reach a healthy weight and stay there for life.  Explore every option available to you.  Surgical; non surgical; psychological; and treatment of eating disorders.  Many of us are obese due to a complex combination of factors.  We don't need to have all of the answers to loose the fat.  As we loose weight and improve our health, we will learn the food related isssues we need to address as individuals.  That is, if we are willing. 

Please, please, please ask questions.  Silly, serious, embarrrasing, whatever.  Learn what you need to know.  Get independent sources of information.  Avoid the billion dollar weight loss snake oil industry as best possible.  Learn and evaluate information in light of your life style, preferences, strenghts, and weaknessses.  If you want permanant weight, loss this is a good starting point. 

nieceb
on 9/26/12 3:36 am - GA
 Welcome you are in the right place.

MY GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD, BELIEVE!!

Transfiguration
on 9/26/12 10:04 am - Somewhere in time, SC
 Leave no stone unturned!!!!!!!!!  You are on the right track.

Keep on climbing, Till I reach the higher ground

rightrage
on 9/26/12 10:18 am - Columbia, SC
Thanks to each of you.  Your words are encouraging and helpful.  I will share updates as they happen.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 213 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1153 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2072 views