African Americans and Weight Loss Surgery

Msshayl
on 10/8/12 2:41 am
What a awesome time in Atlanta.  It was trully inspiring!  I am 8 months post-op and have lost about 90 lbs.  I expected to see so many more of my sisters and brothers.   This bothered me throughout the conference.  I kept thinking do we know we can save our lives?? Where are we.  Everyday we hear our ethnic group is more prone to heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, you name it we get it.  We have options and I feel as if we are afraid to use them. 

I ran my first 5K September 14, 2012.  It was how I rewarded my self for working out and staying strong in my journey.    I was the only AA woman out of 187 people.  I saw mom's and dad's running with their sons and daughters.  What an eye opener that a young man 74 years of age finished 10minutes before me.  He ran 3.2 miles in 31 minutes.  This inspired me because consistency produces longevity.  He's still running. 

Anyway I ran across this article... It answred the questions that i left with from the conference. WLS impacts us differently than others as well.  Other ethnic groups lose more weight than we do typically after any type of WLS (according to the article).  As I looked around the room in Atlanta; this article gave validity to my thoughts. 

During Zumba I was one of 4 AA women that attended the class.    We are the majority when it comes to obesity....we need to be the majority when it comes to educating ourselves and taking the leap from Weigh Up to Weigh Down.

vogue
on 10/14/12 9:56 am
VSG on 08/30/12
I joined a running group...  they have chapters all over the country....  they may change your perspective and be a source of support

blackgirlsrun.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 213 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1153 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2072 views