I lost a whole lock yesterday

McPoet
on 12/26/12 6:43 am

I have been losing hair pretty steadily.  I had my surgery 7 months ago, and I know that it is "normal" to lose some hair around this stage.  It started with thinning, and it has moved from my front hairline (where my hair was naturally thin anyway) and it has slowly made it's way backward.  My hair is so thin in front that I keep it wrapped ALL of the time now.  I never go out without covering my head.  I had been growing dreads for 4 years, and I am really fond of my hair.

I'm also very pleased with my weight loss and my better health.  Don't get me wrong.  My question:  how long before I really see my hair again?  There is fine hair where the first hair began falling out, but I'm still losing hair.  

Also, for anyone who also has dreads, how do you recommend I care for my hair at this tender, tender stage?

I have the power!  I will make it happen. 

bigtreats
on 12/30/12 6:37 am - TX
RNY on 11/20/12
Wow....I am 5 weeks out from surgery and my locs are almost 5 months old. i have been worried about the same thing...
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/12 6:32 am
7 years out lost a lot an I mean a lot did a lot to try to save an its so THIN NOW OMG but everybody is different
Dreadz9093
on 1/1/13 9:07 pm - Irvington, NJ

5 yrs since my surgery and I never lost any of my hair but I think maybe it depends on the type of surgery...I had Lapband where I have girlfriends who have had Gastric bypass and have lost their hair...I would guess it's because of the nutrients and vitamins ur body is no longer receiving that causes this issue...Make sure u take all ur supplements and keep ur hair oiled and make sure u keep all the tension (no tight ponytails or braids).

McPoet
on 1/1/13 10:01 pm
Dreadz9093, thank you for that. In the beginning, when I was just thinning, I did a lot of up-dos in order to cover up the thinning. This was probably a mistake because it added tension on top. I haven't tightened for a couple of months because I'm afraid of adding more tension. In the meantime, I'm just keeping it wrapped and keeping my hands out of it as much as possible. And praying that it will continue to grow back.

MSW will not settle
on 1/2/13 6:28 am

When my natural hair thinned heavily about five months out I increased the biotin and the protein.  It worked well for me. 

When I stopped prematurely the fall out began again but resolved quickly when I resumed it.  Biotin is water soluble so there is no risk of overdose.  I kept protein high at 100g a day.   I was able to stop about a year and a half post op with no further hair issues. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

McPoet
on 1/2/13 6:50 am

Oh my goodness! No one ever explained it like that.  I'm going to take in more protein AND double up on the biotin starting TONIGHT!!!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  A thousand times, thank you.  I will give an update when there's something to tell. 

mel1964
on 1/3/13 2:16 am

i lost a lot of hair but my hair was thinning before the surgery, i am also hypothyroid but my levels were fine, my hair is slowly growing back but i still have a very thin spot in the stop of my head! i just wear weaves, braids anything to cover the thinness, i have also increased the biotin and added selenium, i was also told to keep my hair moisturized, use castor oil, i had the DS also. i agree with keeping your vits up but you may not be able to avoid losing your hair, it varies by individual.

neenjaneen
on 1/5/13 11:15 am - Intheburbs, IL
I also have locs and at about 8 months they started thinning a little and I was afraid I would have to start over but then it just started growing like a weed and getting thick again. Just make sure your loctician is not pulling too hard and make sure you are getting enough protein in. Good luck
hershey dream
on 1/7/13 5:13 am - Duluth, GA

Also, use a protein based, sulfate free shampoo.  Good ones to try are Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo, Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo, or Revlon's Creme of Nature Moisture & Shine Shampoo with Argan Oil.

I'm sure there are tons on the market but these all worked well for me, along with the Biotin and protein intake of at least 1/2 my body weight.

Life is not about making it through the storm....but learning how to dance in the rain.      
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 214 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1153 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2072 views