Plastics Insurance experience?

NatalieNTexas
on 3/25/14 8:56 pm - houston, TX

Hello!  I am curious if anyone has any experience getting approved for body contouring through insurance. I paid cash for my surgery back in 2007 and the amount of excess skin I have is ridiculous and uncomfortable to say the least.  Granted..I do not have boils bursting out of every fold ..I do have issues that i am now realizing that maybe I should start documenting.  If anyone is willing to share can you tell me what your insurance providers requirements were, what type of insurance, your pre op BMI and anything else you think that might be helpful. My case is going to be weird because I paid cash originally in the first place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

JazzyOne9254
on 4/8/14 8:46 am, edited 4/8/14 8:47 am

If your excess skin is causing medical problems, like infections, skin breakdown, yeast infectons in the folds, cellulitis, back issues from too heavy breasts, etc., then insurance will pay for the plastic surgery to resolve the problem.

Even if you buy OTC remedies to address a problem caused by excess skin, document it.  If you have to get a prescription to get rid of an infection caused by the excess skin, make sure your PCP, dermatologist, or whoever is treating it is on board with giving you copies of your diagnosis.  You will need to get the medical documentation of each adverse event involving excess skin if you have to appeal a denial, so it's better to have your ducks in a row earlier rather than later.

BMI really has nothing to do with plastics, except that if your weight is not stable, and reasonable for your age/height/frame, a plastic surgeon might not want to do the surgery until your weight stabilizes.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Amanda S.
on 11/2/14 8:59 pm - New York, NY

I was told absolutely not.. I will just pay for each section when I can.

Lap DS 9/21/09
2-1/2

124LBS GONE!! LOOK AT ME!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 188 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1131 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2022 views