3 weeks post DS! Just an update!

firedancer722
on 2/19/13 7:40 am
DS on 01/28/13

Hi all... I've only posted here a few times.  I read a lot of threads though and have just been lurking for a while.  I decided today that it would be a good thing if I started posting here for support and understanding from people who are SMO.  Hope you guys have room for one more!  :) 

I had the duodenal switch on January 28.  I am 3 weeks out now and am doing well!  The first week or so was not so good.  I was in the hospital for 6 days due to unexplained pain in my abdomen that my surgeon couldn't determine the cause.  Miraculously, it disappeared after a couple of days.  :)  I came home and took maybe 3 pain pills and that was it... no more pain that a couple of Tylenol couldn't handle.  I did have nausea for about a week but now, it's basically gone unless I eat something that doesn't settle right.  I have followed my post-op diet guidelines extremely closely as I do not want any troubles, but have still dealt with diarrhea almost every day.  My "DS Owner's Manual" says that's normal for the first month though, so hopefully it will get better! 

I don't know exactly what I've lost yet.  I did go to my regular doctor for an issue with Restless Legs Syndrome about 5 days after I got home (11 days after surgery) and I had lost all the water weight I had gained in the hospital (22 lbs!!!)  I have no idea what the scale says now, but I do know that I already have more energy and more stamina than before surgery!!!  I used to get out of breath just walking from the car into WalMart.  Last night, I went to Wal-Mart, walked in from the car and walked around the store (with a cart to push which helps) and didn't get out of breath! 

Even with the weird tummy issues, I am grateful every day that I was able to have surgery!!  I feel like I have the chance to get my life back and my health back!  The first week after surgery, I just knew something was wrong - that Dr. Spaw didn't do something right and that I was not going to lose. I felt hungry and like I was eating too much.  But now, I have to make myself eat, otherwise, I never would.  I have NO appetite at all.  It's such a RELIEF!  Before surgery, I felt like I was starving ALL the time.  It took 3/4's of a large pan pizza to put a dent in my appetite.  Now, I can barely handle 10 cheese cubes or 1/2 cup of chili.  it's amazing. :) 

Thanks for reading...

Candace :)

Laura in Texas
on 2/19/13 7:55 am

It does sound like you are doing well. Keep doing what you are supposed to do and you will keep getting healthier everyday. The first 6 months are the toughest. After that you are stronger and pretty much used to your routine and don't have to "think" so much. It does get easier, I promise!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/19/13 8:52 am

Glad to hear you're doing well. I look forward to watching your progress. Keep up the good work.enlightened

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

KendraB1
on 2/19/13 12:14 pm - DE
RNY on 11/05/12
Sorry you had a little trouble to start but sounds like you're doing much better now. Look forward to hearing more!
Most Active